Fundamental design flaw

lucid

Newly Enlightened
I'm not a big collector of flashlights, and the ones I'm interested in tend to be in the lower price ranges, however I have noticed that most flashlights I've looked at suffer from a fundamental design flaw. These lights have a basically cylindrical body that allows them to freely roll around when placed on a flat surface. The number of times I've had a flashlight roll off a table or car bonnet etc... I can't believe that manufacturers continue to design flashlights with such a stupid shape when it costs NOTHING to add some edges (eg make part of the head octagonal or whatever). What on earth are these guys thinking of? Doesn't anyone else get annoyed by this?

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have many flashlights and nothing all that expensive but most of them do have a hex head or tail that stop them from rolling.

Some do not of course and it is annoying. Especially since it doesn't take much to keep one from rolling freely.

There are a lot of common sense aspects that are left out of design in general. Headlamps generally come on in high and blind you when you are in the dark in the first place. Three AAA batteries are used when 1 or 2 AA's would be much better. Tail clicky switches are positioned where it is hard to press them. It frequently seems as if products are designed by engineers who don't use or test their own products.

uber1911

Newly Enlightened
Most of my lights have a clip on them, and that's been enough to stop them rolling for me.

This is true but I do prefer it when manufacturers design in another anti-roll feature such as a hexagonal ring or bezel just in case I decide to take the clip off during the light's lifetime.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Many feature anti-roll design. Even though the Pelican 7060 is a fairly simple light with only one mode, I use it quite often because the octagonal design stops it from rolling away. Many Streamlights have a triangular bezel which also doesn't tend to roll.

AaronG

Enlightened
Not a flaw, just a preference. I prefer simple round body lights with no clip. I don't use the V10R Ti extension because I don't like the hex body. If I don't want the light to roll away I either head or tail stand it.

The clip is most commonly used as anti roll so that it can be easily removed if people don't want it. The best we can hope for is that manufacturers make both styles so that everyone has something that appeals to them.

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
I understand the preference for no clip (it can get snagged or something) but what is the reasoning behing the preference for a completely round body? Is there any practical reason, or is it just a cosmetic preference?

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I understand the preference for no clip (it can get snagged or something) but what is the reasoning behing the preference for a completely round body? Is there any practical reason, or is it just a cosmetic preference?

Easier to get in and out of a holster.

Not really all that big a deal, though.

--flatline

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the flashlight is machined, then there is an extra step involved where a hexagon shape would have to be milled on another machine which adds to the complexity. Adding that extra step does cost in time & set-up. Some CNC machines can do everything, but it is still easier just to turn down a round body.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I don't think its a flaw... more like a trade-off. Small, ultra compact and unobtrusive shape for EDC, verusus anti-roll features. I know a lot of CPF'ers who EDC and prefer the light to be as smooth and unobtrusive as possible, so it cna be drawn from a holster or pocket easily. BOTH have their strengths and weaknesses. Personally I prefer some kind of anti-roll feature, usually a clip feature will suffice.

Danielsan

Enlightened
I think a round shape is not so good because you will feel it more in you pants pocket then a cube shape and flashlights like fenix tk35 feel better in the hand then round ones

lucid

Newly Enlightened
I can understand wanting a "smooth" shape, but again this can still be achieved even if it has facets. They don't necessarily need to be sharp to prevent rolling. As for clips and cords, I can see how these would be useful in some circumstances (although I personally find they get in the way), but anti-roll should be built into the design. Tail/headstanding is only practical in specific circumstances and certainly won't work if the surface is sloping or uneven, or if it's windy etc.

There probably are a lot more anti-roll designs out there than I am aware of, but designs that roll freely are extremely common (eg Maglite). Personally, I would never design something like that. Also, I've got some flashlights that do have facets on them, but they don't actually make contact with the surface... :ohgeez:

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
it have nothing to do w/ price
expensive light like m3lt doesnt have anti-rolling
cheap light like some china brands could come with anti-rolling design

Chris201W

Enlightened
If the flashlight is machined, then there is an extra step involved where a hexagon shape would have to be milled on another machine which adds to the complexity. Adding that extra step does cost in time & set-up. Some CNC machines can do everything, but it is still easier just to turn down a round body.

FlashKat brings up an excellent point. Even one additional operation that requires another machine, more fixturing, and more setup time can make quite an impact on the cost of machining. Almost all flashlight bodies take stacks of batteries, which are long and cylindrical. Naturally, a cylinder is the most obvious shape. Barring some more complex lathes with milling heads built in (which are expensive and more time-consuming to program), a single operation basically limits you to round features.

moderator007

Enlightened
Heres a spin on the anti roll flashlight. The Cube E11 V3. Its not cheap.
Maybe it will catch on with the cheaper light manufacters.

lucid

Newly Enlightened
FlashKat brings up an excellent point. Even one additional operation that requires another machine, more fixturing, and more setup time can make quite an impact on the cost of machining. Almost all flashlight bodies take stacks of batteries, which are long and cylindrical. Naturally, a cylinder is the most obvious shape. Barring some more complex lathes with milling heads built in (which are expensive and more time-consuming to program), a single operation basically limits you to round features.
I disagree. I've got some very cheap lights that have intricate shapes cut into them, and as I mentioned in my previous post, they could have been anti-roll but the flat edges don't actually touch the table top. Just stupid design, plain and simple, nothing to do with cost. That's what inspired me to start this thread.

Wow, moderator007, that is taking the concept to the extreme! Never saw one of those before.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
suffer from a fundamental design flaw.
which is your sight, so why not just buy ones that feature unnecessary edges and such?
There is enough offer of these
:rolleyes:

for me: I hate all those crap that makes nothing but worsen the pocketability of the light in question.
I only purchase such, when there is no better alternative.

When the light is equipped with a lanyard, clip, ..., one already has this anti-roll-protection.
... but who really needs it?

DisrupTer911

Enlightened
i hate "tactical" rings on lights. pokes my leg when it's in my pocket or forces me to wear the belt holster.

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
i hate "tactical" rings on lights. pokes my leg when it's in my pocket or forces me to wear the belt holster.
I found those rubber tac. ring useful on my C2
Provides syringe mode and a secure grip
Making it a great self defense EDC(for night trip, i go for XPG-R5, nominal use, p90+li ion or P60+cr123a)
if your pocket is too small so that the ring pokes you, just use another light w/o tac. rings
(yep, if it doesnt suits you, you may grab another one)

lucid

Newly Enlightened
I'm not talking about tactical rings or other protrusions. I don't like them either. The overall shape of the light can have flat surfaces, and the corners do not need to be sharp. It's all so simple really.

Latest posts