Gerber Inifinity question

modenar1

Newly Enlightened
I just recently bought 3 gerber infinity ultra task flashlight. 2 of them i got are in black color (22-80012 model) with the Gerber emblem (sword through G) that said runtime of approx 32 hours on a single AA. has 2 o-rings on tail cap.

the 3rd one i got is silver (22-80011), the anodizing is a little more heavier and it says runtime of 100 hours. "gerber" written on body with sword and mountain logo. single O-ring on tail cap

Can someone please explain why there would be such difference in run time. i cant seem to find any information regarding what led is used in which one.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are different generations. I've had both of the them - that takes me back to the year 2000. So this is antique material. I do not remember the original lumens but the difference is something like 3 lumens for the 100 hour model and maybe 10 for the 25 hour model, as a rough approximation. It will run much brighter on lithium AA Energizer L91 cells and dimmest on Rechargeable NiMH.

gerber infinity ultra is who bought the company.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your silver one matches my 10-ish year old ones. The two-ring model must be a current update. The runtime difference, assuming the lights appear similar in brightness, could be the adoption of ANSI standards for rating runtime. They used to quote 100 hours, which they exceed, but things got pretty dim after the first day. Day 4 you could just see the floor in front of you waking up with dark adapted eyes. ANSI says time is over when it reaches 10% of the starting brightness, so 32 hours sounds more like it. BTW, that's all alkaline talk, the loooong, slow decline of voltage and current. With a NiMH, you won't get near as much runtime, but what you do get will be near full brightness until near the very end.

My oldest ones had Nichia BS series LED's, and were pretty dim and blue. I modded those (http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?98568-Gerber-Infinity-mod-step-by-step&highlight=) with later CS series LED's, which became standard a little while after. You would not mistake the old BS next to the more modern 5 mm LED's, very disappointing.

The old ones were also actually a redesign of the CMG Infinity Ultra, which Gerber bought from them, along with the Sonic 1xAAA light. Some preferred the old design, but I along with many like the Gerber better. Not potted, so I can play with the LED (the one in front of me now has a Yuji HCRI flood LED in it), and the flat on the tailcap tailstands - CMG's had a rounded lug. Also the CMG would crush the battery, no springs - the double spring Gerber design is easy on the cell, and makes contact robust to battery length variation. Also cushions the blow to the circuit board if dropped on the head - which is good, because remember, the circuit is not potted.