Given A $50 Budget, What Do You Suggest?

ambassador

Newly Enlightened
Given a $50 flashlight budget; and a strong preference for a total flashlight length of no greater than 6 inches, and a strong preference for a no maintenance battery type (this criterion does not refer to whether or not the battery/batteries is/are rechargeable), what do you consider to be the best general purpose flashlight?

Thus far, the $45 " MagLite Mag-Tac, Plain Bezel, Crimson Red" flashlight on Amazon seems to be a candidate.

You folks know flashlights, what are your suggestions? Your replies would be appreciated.

sc00ts19

Newly Enlightened
Atactical a1s $30

If you want to spend the rest

Thrunite c2 charger $17

Both include protected 18650's, the atactical battery has a built in micro USB port.

maglite mike

Enlightened
Given a $50 flashlight budget; and a strong preference for a total flashlight length of no greater than 6 inches, and a strong preference for a no maintenance battery type (this criterion does not refer to whether or not the battery/batteries is/are rechargeable), what do you consider to be the best general purpose flashlight?

Thus far, the $45 " MagLite Mag-Tac, Plain Bezel, Crimson Red" flashlight on Amazon seems to be a candidate.

You folks know flashlights, what are your suggestions? Your replies would be appreciated.

I second the plain bezel mag tac maglite

ven

Flashaholic
Could you expand a little on the none maintenance battery if rechargeable will be ok. Not too sure what you mean with this. 18650 for example last years and years when not over charged/discharged. I will throw in the Emisar D1(mtn elec and int outdoor stock it) if throw is your forte , around $40, couple of decent cells $10-$12 and charger ~$10. D1 is available in 5000 and 6500k xpl HI, ramping and very clever UI with instant low, instant 100%. Has battery check, tactical mode 4 click(press hold to come on 100%, release for off, 4 clicks again to come out. Can set driver temp to step down a little earlier or later(user specific). Basically its a compact thrower of around 1300lm and 43kcd, one of the bargains of 2017 imho. Really useful throw for its size with plenty bright spill to be useful for a wide range of applications.

Good luck

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think everyone who's messed with one is in love with the D4 and D1,
but the best "No maintenance" 18650 light would be one that had wireless or custom charging - without needing to attend to a rubber micro usb port cover, or removing of the battery.
There are a few of them, doesn't Olight have a charger that works without opening the light, or unpeeling a micro usb cover?

Last edited:

UpstandingCitizen

Enlightened
If you're talking a one-light-only light (meaning, you will only own this light and no other), then my mind immediately goes to portability. After all, my most-used lights are my 1xAAA and 1xAA.

With those parameters, I'd scour the WTS page for a gently-used Peak El Capitan. I bet you could score an aluminum one for $50.

cp2315

Enlightened
For a simple and reliable flashlight, I never hesitate to recommend surefire g2x pro. Great light in every way for around &50. I have two. Love them. My all time favorite

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight Pro Tac 1L 1AA might be worth your consideration. Under $50 and it has several worthwhile features. The ten-tap programmable feature gives you three options on how you set the modes. Operates on a single CR123(highest output) but can also accept a single AA without the need to carry adapters. Easily under your size limit at 4.25 in. and narrow enough for pocket carry with a decent two way clip.Personally I like neutral tints and the 1L 1AA doesn't offer that but it does have a good white tint with no evidence of blue ,in my example at least.

Last edited:

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
A no maintenance battery does not suggest to me 18650's, which at a minimum need to not be left in a discharged state. Granted, that's hardly an onerous requirement - you don't want to do that with a phone or tablet, either.

But my first choices would be AA or CR123A.

MagTac uses 2 x CR123A, so that fits. I'm not sure how well it maintains its brightness over its full runtime, but I'm sure it's going to be a durable light.

I'd also take a look at the Thrunite TN4A. It's a 4 x AA light that runs very well on NiMH batteries. It has higher output and more modes than the Magtac. It's a little bit shorter in length, but larger in diameter, making it a bit large for pocket carrying. In turbo mode, it will step down to high after a few minutes due to heat, but even high is brighter than the Magtac is rated for. I really think this should be a great light for most people, as long as pocket carrying is not a criteria.

If you want slimmer, there's a large selection to be had of 2 x AA lights that will be right around 6" long and roughly comparable to the MagTac in output. For an example of the array of options, see this search tool:
http://flashlights.parametrek.com/index.html?battery=2xAA

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The plain bezel Mag Tac is great for around $50, I like the soft touch electronic switch and the "fist grippable" size of the body and that it's made in the USA.

The Streamlight 1L-1AA is very nice also, more compact (better for EDC), more neutral tint, dual fuel capability and ten tap programmable......not made in the USA though.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're not big into nice LED lights but want something bright and reliable I'd get maybe a 2AA light. A good category and you can use NiMh or your standard alkaline cells in a pinch. Maybe a Thrunite Archer 2A v.3? That doesn't come with a charger though for AAs.

Actually I just looked on ThruNite's site and they have some bundles for 65 bucks that are really good like this: http://www.thrunite.com/thrunite-bundle-tn12-xp-l-u1-t3400-1/
Then you could have a really nice 18650, great modern light, and charger. Don't know if that charger is the best out there, but for the price it's a nice bundle and you'd be all set. It's somewhat over your budget though.

I don't know--- I'd look at a lot of brands and research. There was awesome stuff coming out in 2008. It's years later now and the choices for not much money are endless. A great time to get into nice LED lights.

RollerBoySE

Enlightened
My vote would be for Emisar D1 or D4 (depending upon if you prefer throw or flood), hands down the best flashlights in that price range.

ven

Flashaholic
My vote would be for Emisar D1 or D4 (depending upon if you prefer throw or flood), hands down the best flashlights in that price range.

I kind of feel like a broken record RollerBoy :laughing: I have recommended either the D1 or D4 depending on if throw or wall of flood is required. Thing is (IMO anyway) for $40, it is real hard to beat in either form. Even though it could be argued the lights are for flashaholics(high powered, clever UI with bells and whistles), they are super user friendly. Not only that, built in bat check, low voltage warning and adjustable driver temp. But if recommendations for $50 or less.................(heck even $100 budgets ), these latest Emisar lights are worth a look. Granted Chinese which does not suit everyone, but decent components and trick firmware by some of the best in the industry...........Then a light made and designed by hank who made the Notigon Meteor m43 which was pretty much a classic from day 1!!

:)