Good all round light for under $300

MyUsernameTX

Newly Enlightened
Looking for a good all round light. Either 18650 or possibly 21700. I have no 21700's but at some point I need to take that step!

I posted before looking for something with a tight beam and you guys gave me a great recommendation of the Hound Dog Super

Now I find myself using the Hound Dog for everything, but the beam is too tight for general use as you can see from these pictures of me looking at a car that was hit and run.

My old 960 Lumen Fenix PD35's are good, but I feel like I want more light!

1703454393717.jpeg

1703454401138.jpeg

Requirements:

Budget: Honestly, whatever
Battery: 18650 or 21700
Must NOT have built in USB Port for charging. I feel like its just another thing to go wrong
Made in USA would be a huge benefit
Beam: Not super tight like the Hound Dog Super, but I don't want something super floody. I have an OLight Baton S2 that is very floody, and its useless

suggestions?

Last edited:

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about an emisar d4sv2. I'd recommend two setups depending on what you want. My favorite is the 2 channel. Flood channel is 2x 519a in 4500k(but you choose your preferred temp) and throw channel 2x w1. The way it works is that you can basically choose 2000 lm from either channel depending on whether you want flood or throw. When you go to turbo mode they both come on and give you about 4000 lm. Not for long that's a lot of heat but it is impressive. Light runs on a 26650, my recommendation is to get the additional 26800 tube and a 26800 cell for over 7000 mA hours. The other choice is the same light but with all four W-2 emitters. That's about 6000 lumens of incredible output but won't have the high cri of the 519a flood of the first option

Check out this review to give a much better idea.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
I recently picked up the Fenix TK20R V2.0

3000 lumens, 21700 battery, decent combination of throw and spill. I don't like charge ports either, but this has one that's hidden & protected under a threaded cover with a rubber o-ring.

Not really pocket sized for EDC, but small enough to slide into your pocket here and there if you need to.

I like mine a lot.

Or, there's always the Malkoff Wildcat. More of a flood light.

Last edited:

GadgetGeek

Newly Enlightened
My work light is the Fenix TK16 V2.0. 3100 lumens.

It has excellent runtimes. I can go weeks before needing to swap the battery out.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
You have the Hound Dog, how about adding the Malkoff Wildcat?

Last edited:

MyUsernameTX

Newly Enlightened
Do you guys think the Hound Dog (Not super) with the 21700 body would be a good choice? I'm not sure how much less spotty it is

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
Do you guys think the Hound Dog (Not super) with the 21700 body would be a good choice? I'm not sure how much less spotty it is
I'd say that the regular Hound Dog is still pretty much a spot light, just less intense than the Super. I have one of the older Hound Dogs, with a reflector, and it's mostly throw. I've heard that the new TIR style Hound Dogs are very much throw also.

I know that the Wildcat is flood, but I think it's mostly flood, with little spot. The youtube videos show it pretty well.

Maybe you'd like one of the soda can style flood lights. I picked up the Acebeam X80-GT2. It's 34000 lumens that's a wall of flood light.

There are so many choices out there. Lots of good reviews on youtube.

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
Malkoff MD2 SHO with high/low switch is 11K lux. Much easier to pocket than the HD Super. Voltage range looks to be 3.8-9. That's pretty flexible.

340pd

Newly Enlightened
Malkoff MD2 SHO with high low switch

Last edited:

MyUsernameTX

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the suggestions guys

Currently, I'm leaning towards the Fenix TK16. I'm sure I will end up with more than one though, of course. Still checking out the other suggested in this thread, got them all bookmarked

Also found a cool light no one has mentioned yet, the D4Sv2

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get on skylumen.com and check out beam shots of Vinhs offerings. He is about to head to Vietnam for charity work and a family visit but if you have questions he will contact you back by email.