GROOVY??

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
How is this groovy light in terms of throw or output. ANy info on this thing?

-David

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like my Groovy!

It is very bright and runs a TYOH with a POP2GX at three different settings Hi Medium and low. High is about 800mA IIRC maybe less.

I got a really nice LDF lense for it from flashlightlens.com and it is a beautiful floody light. Very useful. I used it for a night hike and it was great on medium.

Click the link in my Sigline for all the info :)

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have handled a Groovy before and it is built very well. It uses a Kroll switch (well the one I tested has a Kroll) and is shiny and doesn't seem durable on a keychain IMHO. It looks like it just wants to be scratches.

Output is just a touch less than an HDS Ultimate 60 on high. So an approx. value in my opinion would be 45-50 lumens. Again Luxeon Lottery is also a factor to consider.

I remember a few threads on this topic.

Here

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
how would it throw compared to E1L???

-David

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
:shrug: dont have one.

But it has a small reflector that I wouldn't call a 'thrower' even though I get 560 LUX with the LDF and probably 1000 with a UCL. Seems kinda like my Jil as far as beam pattern and throw.

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a U-binned Groovy! with my name on it some time ago.

It's a nice light and I find the output to be very good but PhotonFanatic said that it was a Luxeon lottery winner so it might not apply to all of them, as always.

The knoll switch did break for me two weeks ago and I haven't been able to fix it. I've heard reports of the knoll switch malfunctioning and mine wasn't completely centered either, but otherwise it's fine.

I don't know if he has any of the other versions for sale. One of them looked like it was sandblastered. It looked awesome!

Last edited:

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
you can use http://flashlightreviews.com to compare the lux readings of other lights.. the groovy will normally output up to about 900-950 lux and maybe 60-70 lumens.. I have built drivers that bump that up to more like 1200-1300 lux and maybe 80+ lumen.. they will be coming shortly via photon fanatic as an optional driver.

Groovy is my favorite EDC (other than the Mag100).. it's an absolute work of art.

The kroll is kinda the achille's (sp) heel.. by summer time i will have solved the e-kroll solution i'm working on (using an FET for the switch!).. stay tuned to this bat channel for that.

-awr