HDS Systems #23

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've always preferred direct level selection rather than clicking through a menu. I think they should cut down the number of levels to make it easier to land on one, but those extra low modes do have their uses. I've been on family vacations and had to sneak around sleeping people with the thing barely glowing.

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rotary or clicky is all up to you. I prefer the clicky. You can setup the 4 preset levels to any brightness you want. I use moonlight and high/low medium levels the most. Servicing the tailcap is way much easier than the rotary, more durable (from what HDS website tells us), more clip options.

I use my lights around dirty/dusty environments daily and I felt the rotary mechanism would eventually collect dust and debris causing the rotary to need taken apart and servicing, but personally never had that issue since I don't own a rotary, or it might not even be an issue.

If you got the $ then get both. See which you like better and sell the other

Fuchshp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I"m thinking about this one:

Description: rotary, NB35 Hcri 180 lm, black bezel and body, sapphire, 123 battery, raised button.

What do you think?

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did they ever make a raised flush button? By that I mean you could have a tailcap with a deeper dish to it so it would still tailstand but the button would stick out inside the recess and be easy to push.

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I"m thinking about this one:

Description: rotary, NB35 Hcri 180 lm, black bezel and body, sapphire, 123 battery, raised button.

What do you think?
NB35 is a good choice. Here a compare between NB30, NB35, NB40, NB45

LRJ88

Enlightened
If you get the clicky, you'll be able to service the button on your own. With the rotary, it'll take some skill, finesse, and quite a bit of courage to open it up.
Do you reckon it'd be worth offering to do it for people with rotaries who don't dare risk doing it themselves? I live in Europe, far as i know there's no-one here doing it otherwise.

scalpel_ninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you reckon it'd be worth offering to do it for people with rotaries who don't dare risk doing it themselves? I live in Europe, far as i know there's no-one here doing it otherwise.
Possibly. It would depend on your comfort level, time, and willingness to take responsibility in case if something goes wrong. Also important would be pricing for the service to be worth your time.

LRJ88

Enlightened
Possibly. It would depend on your comfort level, time, and willingness to take responsibility in case if something goes wrong. Also important would be pricing for the service to be worth your time.
I'm pretty comfortable taking these apart now, the only thing really would be if i were to bungle the prongs or crack the PCB, both are things which aren't high-risk given what i use for it. It could be worth asking Hogo if i could order some spare parts to try it if he and Henry are willing to risk it in turn. I don't care much about pricing, it'd have to cover shipping and supplies and that'd be enough for me.

thaugen

Enlightened
I think I'd go for the NB35 as I like a warmer tint better. And maybe I'll just choose the raised button to avoid the button problem altogether. The only reason to choose the flat button would be tail standing which of course is a good thing.

Would you recommend me a Clicky or a Rotary?
I have clickies and rotaries and both are amazing lights.

The clicky doesn't have easy access to all light levels, but most people don't need easy access al all light levels. Once my clicky is set the levels I need are easy to access with a couple of clicks. In my opinion the advantage of the clicky is a user replaceable tailcap boot and bomb proof construction.

The rotary is also one tough light and if anything ever goes haywire or the boot needs replacing Henry and Hogo will have your back. The advantage of the rotary is ease of setting the level you need for the situation. It can also function like a clicky if you'd like, the clicky can't function like a rotary.

The obvious answer is get one or two of each!

Fuchshp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did anyone ever have any such problems with a raised button on a Rotary?

I've played around with my wifes Rotary with flush button. I might like the raised button better.

I remember I once had a Tactical with raised button from member usdiver for some time.

LRJ88

Enlightened
Did anyone ever have any such problems with a raised button on a Rotary?

I've played around with my wifes Rotary with flush button. I might like the raised button better.

I remember I once had a Tactical with raised button from member usdiver for some time.
Having looked through all the posts it seems exceedingly uncommon, i've never seen any complaints of the raised ones.

JohnTz

Enlightened
Quick post to say thank you to Henry. My favorite all time 15 year old RA Twisty lost its low mode. Sent it to Henry and had it back in about a week all repaired and working as new. For all of you that doubt the HDS lifetime warranty I am proof that HDS stands behind their lights. Thank you Henry. My trusted companion is back and as good as new and I am sure it will be reliable with my daily use for another 15 years!

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quick post to say thank you to Henry. My favorite all time 15 year old RA Twisty lost its low mode. Sent it to Henry and had it back in about a week all repaired and working as new. For all of you that doubt the HDS lifetime warranty I am proof that HDS stands behind their lights. Thank you Henry. My trusted companion is back and as good as new and I am sure it will be reliable with my daily use for another 15 years!
Awesome to hear this

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer raised as I find it easier and more comfortable to activate the light.

The flush has the ability to tail stand but I have rarely found it necessary for my uses. If I need the room lit up- I have headlamps and lanterns.

Latest posts