Headlamps under $50

slagell

Newly Enlightened
Is the LRI Photon Fusion still pretty good? I was looking at flashlightreviews.com, but I know it is kind of out of date now. I want something definitely under $50, probably around $35. In order of importance I would say I want:

1. Comfort
2. Battery Life
3. Brightness

50 lumens (like the second dimmest on my P3D Q5) is just fine.

Cavelightchris

Newly Enlightened
The argo HP says its 24 lumens here, might as well get a $15 energizer, read from many sources that it is also 24 lumens.

I would buy dealextremes P4 for $10 and just buy a better reflector for it.

If you need it to be waterproof, you could do it yourself with GOOP, sold at Walgreens/Walmart, or automotive stores(Automotive GOOP red tube).

Hardware stores also usually have O rings, I think that model will only allow you to put 1 on though, you might brake some wires if you twist the other end, I have a model headlamp that has an identical casing as it, and if you were to turn the other end it would brake a wire.

If you don't care about throw just get the $39 P4 zebralight. I heard the Q5 isn't much brighter anyhow. It is waterproof, but only a floodlight.

The Apex for 60$ might be your best buy if you can afford it. You might want to buy it at a store if you can, I heard the casing is often cracked and they need to be returned.

The Blackdiamond Icon is also an awesome light for just $60, sorry for the 60's but those are the cheapest super bright ones you can get that I know of.

According to this the Petzl Tikka is 35 Lumens (maximum), and is only $32 here, found this in googles recommendation advertising top of the page part: http://cspoutdoors.stores.yahoo.net/tikkaheadlamp.html

Normally for around $35, I think you get about 35 Lumens. Might as well do what I did and buy 2 energizers $30 and you got 48 lumens of long lasting LED light.

Last edited:

slagell

Newly Enlightened
Princeton tec eos with seoul upgrade is right around $40 and provides you with 60-70 lumens.

That mod looks risky for someone who has never soldered. I would pay to have someone mod mine, though.

Last edited:

IdahoDoug

Newly Enlightened
Ray O Vac 3W Luxeon is $20 or less with 84 lumens. I've used mine for 4 consecutive night snow shoe runs of 3 hours runtime each with no sign of dimming. I use it on low setting. Real thrower, not much of a spread pattern though slightly adjustable.

Bonus is red LED on rear for use in traffic situations or with a group so can keep track of each other.

DougM

slvoid

Newly Enlightened
That mod looks risky for someone who has never soldered. I would pay to have someone mod mine, though.

Practice makes perfect. It's actually really simple cause nothing is fixed in place permenately. You just have to open the battery door and drill out the 2 plastic posts keeping the internals in (don't worry about those because the internals snap fit back in w/o the posts anyway). Then everything just friction fits into place. The lens comes off and the luxeon star pops right out. Just desolder and resolder the ssc star back on and you're done, very simple.
I also lightly frosted the outside of my lens with 1200 grit sand paper (less towards the center) so now I have a very nice flood pattern with a slight spot in the middle.

Cavelightchris

Newly Enlightened
Hey IdahoDoug, if you bought it at a store, which one did you get it at?

I have never seen it sold in a store before, but I'm hoping one has it.

slagell

Newly Enlightened
I got it at a local outdoorsman store called Champaign Surplus. THey even had an Surefire M6 for $360. :)

chriscoobs

Newly Enlightened
I have both the argo hp and 2 eos lights, much better ergonomics and comfort with the EOS, close up i find the argo better (much wider beam) but i use my EOS lights 90% of the time i need a head lamp.

whippoorwill

Enlightened
You can get the EOS for under $30 shipped on eBay. It is a good headlamp. 4 hours regulated light and is fairly rugged and compact. 3 levels of light, 4 if you count OFF. Good throw, not as good spill, but all in all it is probably the best one out there IMO. New model out, Tactical, has changeable R/G/B filters.

It is a winner.

theamazingrando

Newly Enlightened
I've never used it, but the Princeton Tec Yukon HL seems similar to the Apex is build quality, function, etc (jsut rated for a lower brightness), and it is around $40 from Campmor.

Am I missing something, or is this light the bargain version of the Apex?