Hello! Help Please!

CRKDMike

Enlightened
Hi you crazy lumatics (get it? Its like I combined lumens with lunatics. I put them together and got LUMAtics).

Anyways, I have creeped around on this forum for quite some time, and finally decided to join.

I am getting interested in the mac lights, and I really like the way they look. After reading several threads on several different lights and "packs" and engines and emitters and volts and interfaces, I have become overwhelmed.

It seems as though the versatility of these lights is part of their allure, but at this stage in my knowledge, I just want something that works "out of the box."

My current lights are production lights:

Olight S10
FourSevens Preon Penlight
FourSevens Atom
Terralux TT-4
LensLight Micro

I guess I want my next light purchase to be a "mid-tech" knife (like Macs lights), and not a custom where I have to choose an emitter and a head and a pack and a driver etc. and make sure they are all compatible.

Which of Macs lights come completely assembled? What options MUST I choose, and can someone make it stupid easy for me to understand?

I want a small (1xAA or 1x123) light, to EDC along side my LensLight Micro, that will take over when the LensLight Micro is not enough.

I love the even (no hot spots) beam that the LensLight produces, so if there is a similar type beam available from Mac I would prefer that. The CRI index in this light won't be of too much importance. I am focusing more on even beam distribution, run time, durability, and more flood (less throw).

I hope I gave enough info here. I know you guys are the most savvy flash light enthusiasts around , and I truly appreciate your time and reply.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

Nutdip

Newly Enlightened
I don't want to poop on Mac... But, I have been waiting for my light since 3.3.13 with no response since 2 of 14 after paying up front. The general consensus is that he is out of the light business and only going to service existing orders like mine. I really hope he does because I love his work, it's just that there are a lot of pissed off people right now and unless you are his neighbor or friend, I don't think it would be a good idea to attempt an order. His website is down too. You need to do some more reading... :)

IsaacL

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF and Mac's forum Mike. Unfortunately, you have missed the boat; Mac no longer makes flashlights. When they do occasionally come up for sale, they are snapped up in milliseconds...faster than TAD gear on Fridays.

Judging by your post, it sounds like you are just venturing into the technical side of torches. Let me attempt to answer your questions and correct some misinformation you may have.

1. Mac's lights are 100% "custom". Custom on CPF does not mean the same thing as it does on knife forums like the USN. It's difficult to draw an analogy between knives and lights, especially since a good deal of free-hand effort goes into custom knives while flashlights are 99% machined (either manual or CNC).

2. The way it used to work, you chose the model, emitter, material, clip, glow, etc...selection and Mac would make the light based on your order.

3. The situation is more than just a consensus... That is, Mac is definitely out of the light industry and he has promised to make good on existing orders. Just recently, a member here received a new light from Mac.

4. Something you'll realize very quickly is that custom lights are...well...customizable! There are third party modifications, emitter swaps, driver upgrades, trit installation... You name it, someone does it.

5. Mac's lights require rechargeable IMR cells because of the high current draw. IMR batteries are potential dangerous and are highly unsuitable for the average consumer. You will absolutely need to know what you are doing to safely use, store, and recharge them. You will not be able to use AA or CR123A primaries in a Mac's Custom.

6. Output is possibly the best part about a Mac's Custom, especially the Tri-EDC. There is almost no other light that can compete with the Tri-EDC for its size. A stock Tri-EDC with triple XP-G2's can hit 838 lumens on high with the 2.8A NANJG 105C driver. I have a custom light engine from SOYCD that drives three Nichia 219B's at 4.54A!

7. Beam shape. There are roughly three types of flashlight "optics" (not counting 'mule' lights). They are aspherical lenses, reflectors, and TIR (total internal reflection) lenses. Your LensLight uses an aspheric, and the main advantage is the adjustable focus. However, the lens still fails to capture much of light emitted by the LED. Triples or 3-Up's use a TIR array which is very efficient at capturing and focusing light. Carclo is one of the largest suppliers of TIR arrays and offers a good selection of lenses with different beam patterns (see my thread below). However, the beam of a triple array is best described as a 'wall of light' or one giant hotspot. If you get a frosted lens, it's a little more floody but candela is still much higher than an unfocused LensLight (in part because of the optic and also because of the shear output). All-in-all, triple's do not have great throw and are very floody.

8. Mac's lights are durable but don't expect them to match much tougher lights like Surefire, Lenslight, HDS, Elzetta, etc... If it helps, think of a McLaren P1 versus a Ford F150.

9. If you are looking for great runtime I sincerely suggest you look elsewhere. These lights are very power hungry and IMR cells are much less energy dense than primary or even ICR cells. Sure, the Tri-EDC has a pretty good runtime on low but the efficiency increase of using three LED's is mostly lost in the blinding brilliance and sheer power consumption of a triple torch on turbo.

10. Finally, before you go any further, please read my comprehensive thread on Mac's lights. It shows how to repair your light, talks about the current state of the union, and details many of the options for customizing a Mac's Custom.

Last edited:

CRKDMike

Enlightened
Thank you guys. I had no idea he was "out of the game", and I definitely had some misconceptions cleared up.

I am familiar with IMR batteries, as I use them in my vaping mod. That is no problem, but I suppose I will look elsewhere for my needs, as I would prefer to buy from an active maker, who stands behind his/her product. The last thing I want is to have an issue with a light, and then be forced to learn how to fix it myself. I have two left hands when it comes to tinkering.

Anyways, thanks for your post. My adventure into custom lights is just beginning, so I know I have a lot to learn.

IsaacL

Enlightened
Vaping, eh? You should be well versed on battery safety then. ;) There is a ton of overlap between the two hobbies.

Take a look at Oveready and Lux-RC if you like high-output lights :)

RUSH FAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
+ 1 on what has already been said by our respected members!
Make the 'Custom metals flashlights B/S/T' section of the forum your friend. Be patient, check frequently, and you too can place a bid when one comes up for sale.
With your concern about having the backing of an active maker available, I would humbly say that there are many knowledgeable members such as IsaacL, SOYCD, and many more who could easily provide excellent tips and advice for lights such as Mac's.
Good luck!