Help finding a tactical flashlight (White, red, green filters)

investinwaffles

Newly Enlightened
Ok, actually one more pain in the arse question. :(

My friend is looking for a good light, but he doesnt need a green mode. The only qualities he is looking for are:

Bright primary white light
Red secondary light (preferable dim or dim-able)
Regular batteries (AA or AAA), and not too terrible battery life.

Sorry if im a PITA :eek:

investinwaffles

Newly Enlightened
well, we both have been using crappy flashlights for a long time so bright being brighter than crappy $10 walmart flashlights :p
He says he doesnt want to spend more than $60, so figure $50 + a few bucks shipping :poke:

EDIT:
This one looks really nice (i know you guys hate coleman products :eek:)

Exponent® 2 CR123A Lithium Flashlight

Cree® XLamp® XR-E LED - 165 lumens on high
4347-712_500.jpg

But it uses cr123 batteries which he says he doesnt want (but I suspect he doesnt really understand them/want to take the time to understand the tech behind them).

regardless, it is his decision and he says that he only wants AA or AAA batteries (and not rechargeable because he doesnt want to deal with a dead flashlight).

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a friend whose husband is a pilot. Which requires him to have a two cell light.

Does anyone know a good two cell LED light dim enough for a pilot to use?

He currently thinks all LED lights are too bright and therefore uses an incandescent light.

If your friend's husband is an airline pilot, there has been no requirement for that old two D cell flashlight for many years now.

Here's the pertinent Federal Aviation Regulation:
§ 121.549 Flying equipment.

(b) Each crewmember shall, on each flight, have readily available for his use a flashlight that is in good working order.

The rules for private pilots and many business aircraft mention the D cell light but say 'or equivalent':

§ 91.503 Flying equipment and operating information.

(a) The pilot in command of an airplane shall ensure that the following flying equipment and aeronautical charts and data, in current and appropriate form, are accessible for each flight at the pilot station of the airplane:
(1) A flashlight having at least two size "D" cells, or the equivalent, that is in good working order.

Many of the pocket sized LED lights are much brighter than the two D cell flashlight, last longer and have adjustable brightness.

A good choice might be the Nitecore D20 - fully controllable from very low to nice and bright for walkarounds. One of the new Quark tacticals would also be worth checking out. The Nitecore has a fully adjustable ramp and the Quark is a simpler (but programmable) two-level system.

I've got Quarks and Nitecores and have used both for walkarounds, I'm currently carrying the Quark123. It has a very low minimum for maintaining your night vision and maximum is easily bright enough to preflight a Boeing.

Last edited: