Help for choosing a new flashlight

CyPF

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I'm looking for a new flashlights to add to my collection and to give as gifts to my friends and family this Christmas. I already own two flashlights that I am highly satisfied with:

1. Convoy S21A SST40 5000K 4modes
  2. Convoy S2+ XP-L HI 5500K
I'm looking for a similar model with 18650 that have the same level of build quality. Additionally, I am interested in a flashlight that generates less heat at the extremities. Is there any LED chip that produces less heat while maintaining the same level of brightness? Or does heat dissipation depend on the thickness of the flashlight?

I would greatly appreciate your recommendations.

Thank you!

Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
all led chips used in modern lights make about same heat with all things being equal, difference is negligible. you want less heat you need to drive them with lower current, or have a larger body, your lights have pretty small amount of metal in their heads, where heat is made, a light with larger head/fins will dissipate heat better, less of it will move to your hand. but again the difference will not be night and day. there are literally hundreds of light that are similar size, brightness, battery size. Convoy is pretty good brand , great value. they have other models with larger head, like c8, c8+..

DE73

Newly Enlightened
It's good if the flashlight becomes hot, then you know that the heat transfers away from the led.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here from Reddit I see. The answers here are the same as the answers you got there. If you're going to have a bright light, it's going to get hot. If you like convoy, and want something, a little beefier, I would suggest a C8 plus. I have the M21A, which is the exact same light, but with a 21700 tube. I have been very happy with it. I don't find it gets particularly hot. But I hardly ever get past 10% on it. Even that is extremely bright. I also have an S2 plus they are nice. The xp-l you already have is an extremely efficient led when it comes to light output vs current. It doesn't get much less hot than that. But going to a c8+, your CD will go up for the same lumens. So you need less light. Less heat

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Another Convoy S2+ owner here.... along with 5 other Convoy lights. For yourself, perhaps a good pocket thrower, M2 from Convoy. Literally fits in a pants pocket and comes with a good carry clip.

For family and friends, ask what their favorite color is, then get a Convoy T3 in that color. But, one caveat.... Lithium-ion rechargeables are not for civilians, friends, family or the masses. It's one thing when such cells are buried inside a laptop. Quite another when we're talking loose batteries. T3s for them, but give them a single-AA battery with each light. If they want to use rechargeable batteries, let them use Energizer AA rechargeables instead.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another Convoy S2+ owner here.... along with 5 other Convoy lights. For yourself, perhaps a good pocket thrower, M2 from Convoy. Literally fits in a pants pocket and comes with a good carry clip.

For family and friends, ask what their favorite color is, then get a Convoy T3 in that color. But, one caveat.... Lithium-ion rechargeables are not for civilians, friends, family or the masses. It's one thing when such cells are buried inside a laptop. Quite another when we're talking loose batteries. T3s for them, but give them a single-AA battery with each light. If they want to use rechargeable batteries, let them use Energizer AA rechargeables instead.
Except don't get the energizer ones. Unless they've gotten better? Last time I saw them, AA were around 1000mah. Ikea 1900mah cells are just eneloops. They're the ones to get. Otherwise, spot on

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Looks like I'll be paying a visit to my local IKEA.
Thanks for the heads-up. (y)

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
No problem. They also have the 2450mah(presumably the eneloop
Pros) and 900mah AAA. They're cheap too. A 4 pack of 1900mah is $4usd. A dollar each for the best rechargeable AA in existence

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
Another hat thrown in the circle for Convoy, it's an excellent brand.

As others said, you can't get more lumens with less heat unless you increase the mass, and therefore thermal capacity. Tube lights like the S series are favoured for their compact size, not for heat dispersion. What you can do is use a slightly larger reflector to increase the beam intensity and get more candela. Which comes with the benefit of a larger head that'll not only have more mass for heatsinking, it'll have more surface area for heat dissipation.

Take a look at the Convoy M2 like Monocrom said. I also vouch for the M1 - it's like the M2, but with a larger reflector, a bit more bulk in the head, and guaranteed waterproofing. Both are about the size of the typical "P60 host", not that much larger than your S2+ and S21A like the C8+ is.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another hat thrown in the circle for Convoy, it's an excellent brand.

As others said, you can't get more lumens with less heat unless you increase the mass, and therefore thermal capacity. Tube lights like the S series are favoured for their compact size, not for heat dispersion. What you can do is use a slightly larger reflector to increase the beam intensity and get more candela. Which comes with the benefit of a larger head that'll not only have more mass for heatsinking, it'll have more surface area for heat dissipation.

Take a look at the Convoy M2 like Monocrom said. I also vouch for the M1 - it's like the M2, but with a larger reflector, a bit more bulk in the head, and guaranteed waterproofing. Both are about the size of the typical "P60 host", not that much larger than your S2+ and S21A like the C8+ is.
Yes, I really like the M1. It is like a P60, but with proper heat sinking. They feel really good in the hand.

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
Yes, I really like the M1. It is like a P60, but with proper heat sinking. They feel really good in the hand.
Oh yeah. And it goes great with pretty much every emitter under the sun, in the whole range between the CULPM1 and the XHP70. The head is so well-engineered that Simon only had to widen the fitting to the body to create the M21B, its 21700 alternative.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Only thing is with the Convoy M1, if you want to clip-carry it in a pocket, you'll have to order that separately off of AliExpress. And, those really aren't the best. Going with the M2 solves that issue. For some, I know the clip thing will be a deal breaker.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes. But I think both are too big for pants pocket carry. Probably why they don't come with a clip. It's got a fat head. Lol. I've always felt 6ps and the like are more a belt light or jacket pocket. Even the s2+ is a bit big in the pocket. I prefer cr123 sized lights for that