help with computer question regarding 'print spooler service'

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have Windows XP insralled on both my laptop and home PC. I have run into a few instances where, no matter what I did, I couldn't get something to work right. Long story, short version, I formatted the disk and re-installed XP and my backup folders. The problem may have been caused by a virus, a bad install, a bad remove of some software. Something, somewhere, got messed up, no way to determine what it was. My printer is attached Through a USB port.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Norton is sticky to get off--so sticky that Symantec (owner of Norton Brand Name for at least the last decade or so) had to create software to remove it (not third party SW).

Sometimes you need to use this software even to upgrade from 20xx to 20xx+1...

-Bill

danielo_d

Enlightened
fyi...Well, I'm not printing anything and my printer is powered off.
The Printer Spooler Service is running.

As someone mentioned before, the Print Spooler is dependant upon RPC.
go to Services, then find Remote Procedure Call (RPC) [not locator].
Check to see if it is running. If not, try to start it. [It should be running becaus e a whole slew of services depend up RPC.]

If it starts, then try to start printer spooler.

Keep us posted and Good luck!

colubrid

Enlightened
Still can't get it to run.

And i am not computer savy enought to know what/how to do a backup, reformat ect.

I called the place that I bought the computer and they don't want to mess with it. The computer is doing more than the spooler service since I installed Norton. One other irrtating thing it does when I sign in it asks me if my windows is verified and the numbers that are on my computer i sent in don't match. I lost my original disk for wondows XP so I called microsoft and they said they will send me another disk FOR $30 DOLLARS. I said why do i have to pay for something I already bought My numbers match up? They said it was shipping fee. Screw them! :thumbsdowSo I guess this means I have to buy another computer all because of Norton 360.

But I will install AVG anitvirus instead. :cool:

da.gee

Enlightened
colubrid,

Use the Norton Removal Tool from Symantec. I have had to do this with a previous version of Norton and it does work. I'm not saying it will fix your problem but getting rid of Norton is a fantastic start to troubleshooting. Never install it again. Use AVG, fProt or my favorite Kaspersky.

Here is the link with instructions and download:

Norton Removal Tool

Obviously you won't be able to follow the first instruction, "print this page" but I think you can do it with onscreen prompts. Don't worry about saving the key as you will not be reinstalling that POS again.

Latest posts