Hey CPF, I'm looking for an EDC

kolombo

Newly Enlightened
Hey everyone,

I'm new to CPF; I signed up because I need your help on deciding what new EDC light I should buy. I own two right now: a Fenix LD10 and LD20, but I don't feel that they're powerful enough. So, I was looking at the Fenix PD35 and Nitecore P12. I've chosen these mainly because of their outputs: I go walking at night and there are some wooded areas where I can use 800+ lumens, but I also work in the club (as a DJ), so I need something that can fit in my backpack and pocket and doesn't take up too much room. Budget isn't too much of a concern, but I'd like to keep it below $100. Which do you guys prefer between the PD35 and P12? Do you have any other, better suggestions?

I'm looking forward to hearing from some real flashlight enthusiasts!

alohasurftoad

Enlightened
Out of curiosity... Are you making the switch to 18650 Li-Ions as well? If you run CR123's in them on high the batteries won't last very long. You'll need to add in a couple of rechargeable 18650's and a decent charger.

I believe the p12 throws slightly farther

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you, and noted. Do you think the P12 is superior to the PD35?

I'm biased against Nitecore as every light I've bought of theirs has failed within 18 months. Every Fenix I own still works. They (Fenix) have a few minor issues that warrant some note. For example, most of their lights use a reverse thread on the tail switch retaining ring which has caused problems for people. If you're aware of it, it can be easily remedied by tightening as needed.

Another issue is their smaller lights have very sensitive voltage ranges that don't allow some lights to use li-ion cells in their CR123 lights, or lithium primaries in their AA lights without losing low and sometimes medium modes. This is because Fenix is known for their excellent regulated runtimes on recommended battery chemistry because of the type of circuitry they use in their drivers (usually boost and no buck).

Another pet peeve is their lack of orange peel reflectors. Their lights would be just about perfect if they used orange peel reflectors in their EDC sized lights. I can live with it though, as everything else is really well sorted and reliable.

kolombo

Newly Enlightened
Out of curiosity... Are you making the switch to 18650 Li-Ions as well? If you run CR123's in them on high the batteries won't last very long. You'll need to add in a couple of rechargeable 18650's and a decent charger.

I believe the p12 throws slightly farther

18650s, yes.

Billybatson

Newly Enlightened
I'm also looking into the zebralight 600. Seems like a good light. I haven't been able to find a whole lot of reviews on youtube thought.