High CRI - My Oh My!

Martin L

Newly Enlightened
From what source do you experience that variation? I recently got 3 x L10 with the 219b emitter and they all have the exact same tint! No variations at all. Nichia rules big time or I was lucky 3 times in a row. This is my favorite tint so far with the colors of brown/gold with a little bit of rose in it. Not a sign of either blue/green or yellow, just pure beautifulness… How do Nichia succeed? What do they know that most other LED producers are missing?

Last edited:

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
All of my hi CRI Nichia 219 emitters have been very consistent in their tints. Even on my Eagletac MX25L3C all the Nichia 219 emitters were similar. When I would shine it very close to something you could see the individual hotspots and there was virtually no variation. I have never had that experience with Cree emitters even when they are from the exact same reel.

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
With more hue variability like Cree now. :-(

Which lights do you have hue variability with the 219B? My nichia 219 lights are also very consistent compare to the older cree XP-Gs.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want to see a thing of beauty, try the Osram Oslan High Cri emitter. 95cri at 4000K. I put one of these in an HDS. It makes the Nichia look washed out.

SureAddicted

Enlightened
I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but I'm just blown away by the color rendition when using this! It's one thing to read about high CRI lights and see pics of beam shots and all, but that falls short of describing what you actually see when using one. Deep, vibrant colors that aren't washed out, or tinted blue or green or yellow.

So what you're trying to say is that colors are more accurate using high CRI flashlights? If so, then this is a mis conception.
CRI has nothing to do with color accuracy, the temperature does. A low temperature high CRI light will not render whites as whites.
There are advantages and disadvantages for every type of flashlight, a high CRI flashlight isn't the answer for every task. It depends on what you'll be using the flashlight for...

Last edited:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The color rendering index (CRI), sometimes called color rendition index, is a quantitative measure of the ability of a light source to reveal the colors of various objects faithfully in comparison with an ideal or natural light source. Light sources with a high CRI are desirable in color-critical applications such as photography and cinematography.[1] It is defined by the International Commission on Illumination (CIE, in French) as follows:[2]
Color rendering: Effect of an illuminant on the color appearance of objects by conscious or subconscious comparison with their color appearance under a reference illuminant.

SureAddicted

Enlightened
Light sources with a high CRI are desirable in color-critical applications such as photography and cinematography.

Erm, no. What is desierable for photography and cinematography is daylight balanced light sources, not high CRI. High CRI and daylight balanced are two different things. To be honest, neither of them matter in photography, you are using tools to correct for WB, such as expo disc to accurately set WB, or setting up a custom WB. A color checker/passport is also used for accurate colors. I'm an avid photographer, I take my hobbies seriously.
If you're looking up wiki to prove I"m wrong, It doesn't say much about your intellect.

Last edited:

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Color temperature has nothing to do with cri. Some temps are better than others, but CRI is a definable variable. Whether you want your CRI on the warm or cool side is the only question.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Technically speaking, the definition of CRI is related ONLY to other light sources at that same color temperature.

If your light is 98 CRI at 3200K CCT, then it is near perfect in the scale of 3200K CCT light sources.
This does NOT mean that it renders colors better than another light source at a different CCT. It ONLY relates to the CRI for lights at that same CCT.
This is part of the definition of CRI. It is ONLY valid at the CCT that it is in.
Saying my 92CRI light at 2700K has better color rendering than your 90CRI light at 5000K is not an apples to apples comparison, and is really not valid.