High heat lights and li ion batteries

flashlightsarecool

Newly Enlightened
I own a thrunite mini tn30. I just saw a review on YouTube. With a cooling fan it gets up to 157 degrees F in under ten minutes. The panny 3400's are only rated for 60C (140F). Will the protection circuit in the battery trip if the battery gets too hot or does that only work in extreme heat like a short circuit? Should I switch to imr's that are rated for 75C (167F). I don't run the light in turbo for extended periods but id like to have batteries that can tolerate more heat. Thanks.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own a thrunite mini tn30. I just saw a review on YouTube. With a cooling fan it gets up to 157 degrees F in under ten minutes. The panny 3400's are only rated for 60C (140F). Will the protection circuit in the battery trip if the battery gets too hot or does that only work in extreme heat like a short circuit? Should I switch to imr's that are rated for 75C (167F). I don't run the light in turbo for extended periods but id like to have batteries that can tolerate more heat. Thanks.

Just use high for extended periods and only use turbo for short bursts of less then a few minutes and you wont have a problem. Its just a poor design on Thrunite's part really. Most lights have either a timed step down or thermal regulation to never allow the light to get over about 55C. That way the battery can never get over its 60C maximum heat rating and the light wont burn your hand lol.