Honda automatic control valve problem

copperfox

Enlightened
Keep in mind that the d16 engine in your car is an interference engine. That means that if the timing belt breaks while the engine is running, it is likely to cause the valves to crash into the pistons. If that happens you will be immediately stranded wherever you are. The best case scenario is piston replacement and valve replacement (plus labor). Worst case is you need a new block and head (essentially the whole engine). Neither of these are cheap.

Here is what I suggest you do:

1. If you are not on a Honda forum yet, join one. A large one is honda-tech. Find someone in your area who has changed a timing belt before and would do it for you for a fee (plus lunch or beer or whatever). Buy the parts yourself. This is the cheapest option if you want to change the belt.
2. If you don't like option #1 or if you are unable to find someone willing to do it, leave it alone. I've personally driven a civic for just about 82,000 miles (with 140k already on the odometer) without changing the timing belt. I used this car everyday while I was in college. Just going by mileage, your car is certainly not due for a timing belt yet. I doubt that the belt would dry rot or stretch just by not driving the car very much.
3. Pay a shop to do it. Timing belt and water pump replacement may seem "major" but it's routine maintenance. Every car has routine maintenance. What are you going to do, keep buying and selling cars to avoid the more major repairs?

If I were you I would replace at least the coolant and brake fluid too. It may also be time for you to change your PS and transaxle fluid. You can do all of these at home, I have. The most challenging one to do on your own is the coolant flush. Brake fluid is pretty easy; you need jack stands, a short piece of clear tubing, the fluid, a flare nut wrench so you don't round off the bleeder valves, and somebody to help you. The trans. fluid change is the easiest - it's even easier than an oil change because there is no filter. Buy Honda genuine MTF, not the stuff from the store. You need some hand tools and some basic knowledge and either a write-up from somebody online or a Helms (or equivalent) manual.

It's hard for me to know if your tires need replacement without seeing them. It probably has the factory originals on it. 12 years is a long time for one set of tires, it may be time to change them like the mechanic suggests, even if they have enough tread left. Tires are one area of your car you don't want to mess about with.

My previous car was a 5th gen civic. I sold it at 220,000+ when it was 13. My current car has 160,000 and it's 7 years old. My wife's current car as 145,000 and it's 17 years old.

The 6th gen civic is a great car. 40k is nothing - keep it. It won't give you any more problems than any other car would. Once (if) you have the timing belt changed, replace all the fluids, and maybe the tires, it should not need "major" repairs for a long time.

Dawg

Enlightened
The above post is excellent advice. Keep the car. If you were to go out and put $3000 down on a new Hyundai or Kia bottom line car with no options, and "IF" you were able to get a payment of $200 a month, that would be $2400 a year. You can get a lot of repairs on your old Honda for $2400. If you do minimum maintenance, that Honda should last you another 5 or 6 years without blinking. Wait another year on the timing belt and then get it changed. Good luck.

paulr

Flashaholic
Thanks everyone. My current plan is hold on to the car for a few more years, til production plug-in hybrids become real, and then think about getting one if they seem to have worked the bugs out and if my finances at that time can handle it.

rodfran

Enlightened
I was hoping you would keep it. Heck 40K, it's just getting broken in. After another 100K, you can start looking at some of those electrics.

Latest posts