How are you using your older Surefires?

faucon

Enlightened
I see how many of us still have respect for our vintage Surefires, even if we don't use them as often as we once did. But they were the first high-quality lights I ever owned (before them I thought you couldn't do better than a Maglight!) and they were the pioneers in making the kind of rugged, serious lighting tools we all enjoy now. I still remember how astonished I was at how bright they were, relatively speaking, compared to what I was used to. If I'd had the funds, I'd probably have bought one of every Surefire they made back then. I almost forgot that I also have an old L1---the one with the oddball 'square' beam profile. So I'll keep my L4 near the front door to grab when I need quick light. I'll keep the others too. I may have many more modern lights that are more useful today, but there's something about the build quality and versatility of vintage Surefires that I'll always appreciate.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
faucon,

I use many older Surefires, mainly with Malkoff dropins, but also one with Sportac and actually one G2 with stock bulb and 9P with stock bulb(runned by 2x18500).
Apart from that I really like the Outdoorsmans and Defender LED lights(the predecessors). I guess these don't really belong to what you mean with the "older" Surefires, but when it comes to output they are weak compared to the competition today. Still they belong to my finest lights, and I would never get rid of them.

blanex1

Newly Enlightened
these days i use all 4 of my surefire 6P's,i gave new life to these light's with the newer P60 module XML2 emitters,and i bored out one of my 6P's as to work with 18650's,there quality flashlights that i just love!made to last a lifetime,and i hope they do that.:)

ajl

Newly Enlightened
I have modified almost all of my Surefire 6P, C2, G2/G3, and Z2 flashlights to use Malkoff's drop-ins LED's with AA batteries. I still have one U-2 and one G2 on CR123 type batteries. For low light inside the house I use the G3 with a M61NLLLL and rechargeable Energizer AA batteries. (I generally use Eneloop rechargeable AA batteries, but I do have a couple of 48 AA packs in the event of an extended power outage.

The last extended night powerless period here was in 2005. Did have the power drop out recently again, again and again (like at least 20 times in two hours) due to high winds/tree branches, and a blown power transformer, but that was in daylight.

PROTOOLNUT

Newly Enlightened
I noticed that they were still selling them on Amazon last year and decided to pass. I rather go with a company that stands behind their products and makes an effort to create a quality light. I got an Ultrafire and I treat it the same way, grab it when I need quick illumination. But when I need some serious light, I grab my Nitecore.

Taz80

Enlightened
A G2 with a malkoff M61w running on a AW 16670 is my go to bedside light and keeping it company is a E1 outdoorsman with a Lumens Factory EO-E1R 90 lumen bulb. On my computer table is a E2 outdoorsman with a Lumens Factory 3 mode head. I enjoy the look and feel of the classic Surefires.

d88

Newly Enlightened
I have an old A2 (incan) model which is now used as a backup when I'm travelling. It may not have the power of a modern light but it has been super reliable for me, hence the reason I still keep it.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting thread. I have an old gunmetal 6P with a Vinh 219 engine sitting in the kitchen drawer...E2E with a Lumen's Factory incan drop in (takes 2 RCR123s -love it.) Gotta remember where my old yellow G2 Nitrolon is...I think it's in the nightstand...

That is all - carry on.
:)

jdboy

Enlightened
2 6Ps with MtnElectronics drop ins, both bored for 3500mah KeepPower 18650s. One goes with me to work every day in a Surefire holster for when I need extra light or runtimes that my smaller EDC can't give.

2 A19 extensions bored for 18mm cells also gives me added flexability for the 6Ps and multi cell drop-ins.

1 E2D w/Veleno 2 mode drop in and a KeepPower 16650. This also plays host to a Oveready Triple Copper head at times.

I can readily appreciate the older Surefires as far as hosts go!

Dingle1911

Enlightened
My incandescent e series now have TANA to Velono drop ins. The p60 lights have drop ins as well. The stock LED lights I still use just light when I bought them. I still love the LX2 and L1.

bodhran

Enlightened
The only one I have is a bored M2 Centurion with a Malkoff triple 219. Black Overready bezel, and McClickie switch. Burnt bronze Cericoated which does look nice with the black accents. Use to use it all the time but now it has just sits in a drawer.

Last edited:

troubled1

Newly Enlightened
X300 ultra on my HK USPS 45 tac, and a pile of Malkoff hosts as well as a Vin host. Oveready mini turbo on a bored c2 body, pair of E2D ultras that were my edc. But I just got my old L1 back from being modded by a forum member and WOW that might be my new carry light. Love surefires.

blanex1

Newly Enlightened
Man I wish more folks had that attitude. Sell them to me. I'm one in a herd of Surefire collectors that are always on the hunt. Just added a 6P classic (circa 1990 production) including box and manual. Guess the original owner upgraded and bought one of the newer 6P originals. Back when Surefire was known as Laser Products they set the stage for all of the now johnny come lately's. Not that I'm saying this in a manner of put down. But you have to admit wouldn't you rather have a 1954 ford t-bird instead of 2005 version?
sorry,for me butting in hear! but how do you tell an older 6P from one of the newer 6P's,i think i have a older 1990's classic version!but putting along side one of my newer 6P's they look vary much the same,but there boxes and labels are not the same,and don't have one that says laser products though,thanks.

LGT

Enlightened
Still occasionally use my e1e and e2e in incandescent form, usually with a LF bulb so to use rcr batteries. Right now in my C2, I'm using a M61 219, but I enjoy swapping that back to its original incandescent form.

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
All my older SF's (C/P/Z/E) are hosts to various mods both LED and incan, except for the T1A, which likely will get a new emitter one day.

As for usage, they rarely get used any more since smaller, lighter, more versatile lights have taken over to serve most any day to day need for me. If more power is truly needed, I've got various Maglite mods, and other stuff.

They look great on the desk, and in the display cabinet though, and I grab some for fun once in a while. They, of course, still function as new, and are quite powerful for lights that can be somewhat pocket carried (C3 is a little tough... lol).

Love my Surefire's, and won't be selling a damn one of 'em.

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
sorry,for me butting in hear! but how do you tell an older 6P from one of the newer 6P's,i think i have a older 1990's classic version!but putting along side one of my newer 6P's they look vary much the same,but there boxes and labels are not the same,and don't have one that says laser products though,thanks.

I'm not sure of the release dates, but there are a few different versions of the 6P I know of... the round body, one that has a slightly more pronounced flat around the oval with the logo, and the current version. The heads of the round version did not have the hex around it and had a plastic lens. The tails went from non-lockout (with a more dome-shaped switch cover) to the current lockout. Of course at some point they switched to the newer logo and took the "Made in USA" off of the tailcap.

There were also different versions of the 6P, like the Defender (aggresive bezel with a clicky tailcap) and the 6PN (I have one and the only physical difference I can see is an added o-ring on the tail, but they have been supposedly tested individually to be used underwater) a few came out with logos (like NRA or USMC) and a few colors like gunmetal/satin grey or the Patriot special edition. I believe round bodies were available in various colors in limited quantities, too.

Any other running changes/variations anyone else knows of?

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
My old Surefires don't see any use these days. The 3P is tucked away in a drawer in it's original gift-box packaging. The original 6P that was my first one upgraded to a newer LED module (XP-E) is empty and will likely stay stored for a while. My C2 sits with a few other things and sees occasional use and the newer 6P I recently purchased is serving as a back-up light to my two work lights. Both of those are equipped with Solarforce drop-ins and Li-Ions.