how can we stop covid 19?

Status
Not open for further replies.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
ive had a few deaths due to covid 19. im scared if we dont slow it . many more die. so how can we slow it down?

GoVegan

Enlightened
Simple. In order of effectiveness.

1. Low fat plant based (vegan) diet to boost the immune system, and to reverse current illnesses that put you at high risk (diabetes, asthma, obesity, high blood pressure, high cholesterol).
2. Quit smoking, as smokers are particularly at risk of dying.
3. Avoid alcohol, as it lowers your immune system.
4. Wash hands, and avoid touching your face.
5. Wear a mask (mainly to avoid passing it on). Keep it on to avoid touching your face.
6. Social distancing, and no handshaking.
7. Remote working where possible.
8. Vaccinations (not mandated!).

This is a pandemic of the sick, not of the unvaccinated.

Also It's most likely COVID-19 will be with us for the rest of our lives, just as all current seasonal flu that goes around every year all came from the 1918 Flu pandemic. So people should just accept that real possibility.

BTW sorry for your losses. I suspect that they all had pre-existing underlying health conditions (even if you/they were not aware of the fact).

Last edited:

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Simple. In order of effectiveness.

1. Low fat plant based (vegan) diet to boost the immune system, and to reverse current illnesses that put you at high risk (diabetes, asthma, obesity, high blood pressure, high cholesterol).
2. Quit smoking, as smokers are particularly at risk of dying.
3. Avoid alcohol, as it lowers your immune system.
4. Wash hands, and avoid touching your face.
5. Wear a mask (mainly to avoid passing it on). Keep it on to avoid touching your face.
6. Social distancing, and no handshaking.
7. Remote working where possible.
8. Vaccinations (not mandated!).
My order would be different:
1. Vaccinations
2. Remote working/schooling
3. Wear a mask
4. Social distance
5. Quit smoking
6. Wash hands
7. Better diet (less meat at least)

Alcohol in moderation seems fine. I also think we should consider targeted lock downs in places where the numbers are high enough.

BTW, there is no such thing as mandatory vaccinations, at least for adults. I wish that term would stop being thrown around. You're simply giving people a choice. If your job mandates it, you can either get vaccinated, or find an employer who doesn't require vaccination. If certain venues require proof of vaccination, you can choose not to go to those venues if you don't want to get vaccinated.

Also It's most likely COVID-19 will be with us for the rest of our lives, just as all current seasonal flu that goes around every year all came from the 1918 Flu pandemic. So people should just accept that real possibility.
If we develop highly effective treatments and/or it mutates into a far less lethal form, then it won't matter. I also think the third shot will be a game changer. We may yet reach herd immunity.

GoVegan

Enlightened
1. Vaccinations
3. Wear a mask
4. Social distance
5. Quit smoking
6. Wash hands

Alcohol in moderation seems fine. I also think we should consider targeted lock downs in places where the numbers are high enough.

BTW, there is no such thing as mandatory vaccinations, at least for adults. I wish that term would stop being thrown around. You're simply giving people a choice. If your job mandates it, you can either get vaccinated, or find an employer who doesn't require vaccination. If certain venues require proof of vaccination, you can choose not to go to those venues if you don't want to get vaccinated.

If we develop highly effective treatments and/or it mutates into a far less lethal form, then it won't matter. I also think the third shot will be a game changer. We may yet reach herd immunity.

Unfortunately mandatory vaccinations are absolutely a thing. In the US, some universities are requiring students to be vaccinated before returning to class, as are many of the big tech companies, hospitals and federal buildings are requiring mandatory vaccinations for staff, as will the military soon. It's not simply a matter of giving people a choice. People will be fired if they refuse! Nor should anyone be refused entry to public transport (some countries are already implementing this). Note my advice isn't just US centric, there is literally a whole world outside of the US.
Additionally, many countries including Canada are considering mandatory/forced vaccinations for citizens.
Personally I'm disgusted about how easily personal freedoms and basic human rights have just been neglected during this 'pandemic of the unhealthy'. Governments and companies are turning into Chinese like states. It is unacceptable.

Last edited:

raggie33

*the raggedier*
1. Vaccinations
3. Wear a mask
4. Social distance
5. Quit smoking
6. Wash hands

do people still smoke? i never did i smell bad enough already plus

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Unfortunately mandatory vaccinations are absolutely a thing. In the US, some universities are requiring students to be vaccinated before returning to class, as are many of the big tech companies, hospitals and federal buildings are requiring mandatory vaccinations for staff, as will the military soon. It's not simply a matter of giving people a choice. People will be fired if they refuse! Nor should anyone be refused entry to public transport (some countries are already implementing this).
It's still a choice. If a university requires vaccination, find one that doesn't. If your job requires vaccination, find another employer that doesn't. Mandatory = holding you down while they stick a needle in your arm. That's not happening anywhere as far as I know. Yes, it may be a choice of being vaccinated or being fired. Not a great choice, but a choice nonetheless.

This isn't the first time school or employment has been tied to vaccinations. Schools have been requiring some vaccinations almost from the time vaccines existed.

I hope you know why these requirements exist. If people don't feel safe, they're not returning to restaurants, bars, Broadway, sports venues, or work. Employers may face liability if they allowed unvaccinated people on site. There are exemptions if you have a valid medical reason. My understanding is that there very few conditions where this would apply but you need to offer it for the few for whom getting vaccinated would be too dangerous.

Here's a larger question. Do you or do you not want this to be over? If you do the only way we get there is with vaccinations and containment measures. If people would just listen and follow guidelines for a few months, this will be over. Prolonging it by not taking measures to end it is going to mean a future of masks, lock downs, restrictions, etc. for a very long time. In other words, less freedom. And what happens if the disease continuing to spread results in a highly contagious variant with, say, 50% mortality? Let's put this genie back in the bottle by listening to those who know more about it than we do.

Last edited:

AstroTurf

Flashlight Enthusiast
oh, i donnoh, maybe get the vacine fda approved first...

then perhaps, be honest about how many truly have died from this. not some political numbers.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
oh, i donnoh, maybe get the vacine fda approved first...

then perhaps, be honest about how many truly have died from this. not some political numbers.
Actually, Pfizer is getting FDA approval, perhaps as soon as Monday.

If you want the real numbers:

They're actually higher than the officially reported numbers. Covid-19 deaths have been undercounted, not overcounted.

Current IHME projections:

Click on excess covid-19 deaths. 965,000 in the US as of today. Only 624,000 reported deaths.

Status
Not open for further replies.