How many things do you find wrong?

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I "staged" a re-enactment of a real charging scenario I practiced years ago, before I took the time to learn about proper use of Lithium cells. What are all the things you see that are not safe/good practices in these two photos? (Assume in the second photo that I clipped the black lead to the other wire, and plugged the charger into the wall socket.)

Last edited:

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
- Charging on a flammable surface.
- Charging near other flammabe items (i.e. stuffed toy)
- No fire extinguisher/sand nearby
- Possible incorrect setting on the charger (btw, what charge is that?)
- Charging the batteries outside the host (I'm grasping here)

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
4s, unprotected cells, no balancing taps.

2 black wires + alligator clips = 50% chance of reverse polarity?

No voltmeter handy to monitor charging (or even to check the battery pack and avoid polarity reversal).

Illum

Flashaholic
not sure, been charging this way since I first figured out nimhs can be charged in series. aside from the sofa though, its on a goose down pillow at the moment:thinking:
never charged lithiums this way before

jtr1962

Flashaholic
120VAC cord on a place where you could sit down on top of it (i.e. sharp object in your pocket pierces cord and you can potentially get zapped).

Charger and batteries on surface with less than optimum heat dissipation (the foam in coach pillows is a great thermal insulator).

Wires from charger neatly bundled together (again less than optimum heat dissipation). They could get hot enough to melt and short the charger and battery pack.

The battery holder looks like it might allow the cells to get too hot while being charged.

And as already mentioned, everything is on a flammable surface. While you might get away doing this with NiMH or NiCad, it's still not a good idea. With Lion where one of the failure modes is venting with flame, well, you get the picture.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Here was the list I made:
1) Using unprotected cells.

2) Using 2 different batches of unprotected cells (note label style markings).

3) Charging Li-Ion in series without balance taps is not safe--especially with unprotected cells. When I finally removed battery holder from light, and took this exact FM battery holder apart to check voltages after charging it about 10-15 times, the highest and lowest voltage cells were far apart. So the highest voltage cell was in the process of being increasingly overcharged.

4) Wrong cell number selected with slider switch on what I now call my "Old Oxymoronic Charger." ("Universal Smart" is the oxymoron...akin to "Military Intelligence")

5) Bad quality cheap Chinese charger....no reliable termination, uses cell number in series to figure total voltage, selected by switch and charges to that. First charger shorted while charging, I smelled smoke in other room, noticed charger plastic was significantly melted and deformed. Almost impossible to read which cell number voltage you are choosing, and no distinct "click" to confirm slot to slot.

6) First charging plug shorted out and melted plastic as apparently I had too much solder that made contact as I screwed plastic shield down. Happened when first plugged into FM tailcap setup with 4 Li-Ion cells. I threw first, melted one away, and soldered another one that you see shown in photo.

7) No reliable Red/Black wire to confirm polarity coming out of plug.

8) Bare wires make it easy to short against clip lead, battery holder metal contacts.

9) Tightening this style of battery holder can press center post through plastic & cause dead short. It happened to me early on.

10) Charging on highly flammable surface.

11) Charging in obvious living space. I would watch TV while it was charging on couch or wood coffee table. My strategy was to keep it within eyeshot to see when indicator light turned green.

12) No fire protection tools or strategy if there was a fire. This was a reflection of my having no awareness of the dangers of Li-Ion charging.

13) No DMM to verify voltages. I later "sprung" for a $20 Rat Shack yellow DMM, that would not work properly when battery began to wear out. Did not see the advertised low battery warning display. Alkaline round 12V battery leaked inside, so perhaps there was a bad contact issue.

14) Normally all the charging was done with cell pack kept in light as FM designed it...which I believe is a mistake because you cannot see what is happening to the cells. I showed you the pack holder being charged outside the light in photo, but at least 15 charges were done through tailcap hole with pack never being removed from light.

15) No surge protector or "UPS" (Uninterruptable Power Supply) was used, and while charging during several lightning storms, power to our house/neighborhood was lost and spiked back on...at least twice.

16) No temp or total charge time monitoring was done as a backup in case I forgot about the charge. Once I forgot about charging and went to sleep. There it was on the couch in the morning.

Suffice it to say that I have since learned a few things about all this.​

DM51

Flashaholic
its sufficed to convince me from banning the use of li-ions period:ohgeez:
It should not do that. When used sensibly and properly, Li-Ions are very safe. There are just a few common-sense rules to obey, as with any energy source. When there is a lot of energy confined inside a small container, sensible safety precautions need to be observed. That applies to aerosols, cans of gasoline, lighter refill canisters, BBQ lighting fluid and numerous other flammable/dangerous substances people keep in their houses. Most of those present a much greater danger than Li-Ion cells.

There are in fact more reported cases on CPF of Lithium primaries venting than there are of Li-Ion rechargeables. Li-Ion incidents are extremely rare, and they invariably result from severe abuse/misuse of the cells. All today's laptops and cell-phones are Li-Ion powered, and people do not (and should not) spend their entire time worrying about them blowing up.

LuxLuthor's illustration above of the various do's and don'ts to be observed when recharging cells is very useful and instructive. It should not drive people into a panic about Li-Ion cells. That was not his intention, and it should not be a consequence of this thread.

Illum

Flashaholic
It should not do that. When used sensibly and properly, Li-Ions are very safe. There are just a few common-sense rules to obey, as with any energy source.

you don't know me very well DM51...I'm an *** when it comes to following rules, like much of everything else that goes around power consumption.
It takes awhile for me to recognize all the rules before they become streamlined in routine. I've blew up a couple lemons figuring I can juice them back up in the past using 10A car starters before...I'm not sure what magnitude of stupid things I can do now:caution: