How to mount a pop can light?

candlenewb

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

trying to find a way to use my pop can lights as work lights, so need to put them on a tripod. I've seen photos of guys with them on tripods in testing pictures just don't know how they did it. Do they sell specific flashlight mounts for flashlights that are large enough for a 50-60mm body? Or are people making their own? I have a camera tripod I can use too, hoping that suffices.

candlenewb

Newly Enlightened
Some soda can lights come with 1/4-20 thread socket, otherwise I use straps with 1/4-20 attachment.

Thanks for the response, I have a Olight X7R marauder that is fantastic except that it has no threaded socket for a mount :( So I'm probably better off making a mount I'm guessing then, I'll see what I can come up with.

Keitho

Enlightened
I mount pop-can lights to my MTB handlebar with a product called a "lighting truss clamp", basically a quick-release clamp that is meant for holding stage lighting and other large fixed lights to truss members of various diameters. It is overkill for mountain biking, and overkill for a fixed lightweight flashlight on a tripod, but it would certainly put it where you want it without moving. Attaching the truss clamp to the tripod will probably take a trip to the hardware store to get bolts/nuts/washers of the right size/thread, but I'm betting you can figure out a way to attach your ballhead or tripod to a truss clamp. A picture is worth a thousand words, so here's a couple thousand words worth of my bike handlebar with WAY too much light on it...um, because....I, um, need thousands of lumens when I bike at night?

pc_light

Enlightened
I was thinking something cheap like this, muffler U-bolt -

81Ha54G+2YL._AC_UY218_ML3_.jpg

Coat the bolt with some shrink tubing. Drill and/or tap the bottom bracket w/ 1/4-20 threading or nut. Done.

candlenewb

Newly Enlightened
Used a $15 camera tripod and a musical/lighting clamp! And the bottom was already 1/4-20 threaded! The interior of the clamp already had rubber coating too, seems pretty good so far. I can tighten it pretty good and the groves on my light really help the clamp hold snug. I was able to hold it upside down and shake it and it didn't fall out. I'll still keep an eye out for a Velcro style clamp too or something that holds it all the way around in the future but this should hopefully do the trick in the mean time!

jwdUDZd.jpg
[/IMG]