How to open Fenix head?

ensile

Enlightened
haha, i have become the locking clamp victim, I had the protection set, I made sure there was something between the teeth and the light, No dice... ..

It's ok, because the scar is on the PCB holder part, not the reflector tube..

i still can't get it open, I suppose i can try something else. I am really not all that weak either, then again, no1 has told me that I wasn't, I could be biased here.

wintermute

Enlightened
haha, i have become the locking clamp victim, I had the protection set, I made sure there was something between the teeth and the light, No dice... ..

It's ok, because the scar is on the PCB holder part, not the reflector tube..

i still can't get it open, I suppose i can try something else. I am really not all that weak either, then again, no1 has told me that I wasn't, I could be biased here.

Did you do some heating cycles?? I did the old head in a plastic bag in boiling water, but head on a coffee cup warmer seems to work just as well (thanks datLED).

shakeylegs

Enlightened
Using two strap wrenches, I've been able to open every one of my LxD and PxD fenix heads - no heat, no boiling, just persistent twisting. My first P3D opened unexpectedly as I was twisting off the head to clean the contacts. Some were more heavily glued. None required superhuman/plier breaking force and none has any marks from opening. The strap wrenches are great. A pity they are useless on the old L1Ps. All of mine are potted with kryptonite.

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got my 2 heads, and oh yes they were both super human strength required....i knicked one head and was upset but it wasnt so bad , i thought of giving up , but last ditch effort ,i ran the tap water extremley hot and had the 2 heads in ziplock bags and let it soak in the glass of hot water for a few minutes , then i tried to unscrew and i had just enough strength left over to break her loose and bingo the rest was easy , hot water works for me :thumbsup:

ensile

Enlightened
anyone thinking of opening one please just, listen to these guys, the ones who have protected the alloy... man, mine looks like it's been in the wars i tell u.

I still couldn't get it open.. vice grips make the alloy sound like it's cracking, it's a horrible noise.

eidolen

Newly Enlightened
Well add me to the list of people that only gets units that were lathered with glue. I've now opened both a P1 and a P3D and neither one went down without a fight.

The P1 only got scarred a little around the slug key-holes but it was a battle. Since it was an internal connection it wasn't so much a matter of grip, as the spanner set I used fit quite nice coupled with a strap wrench. When I realized it was heavily glued I went for high heat using flexible heaters taped right to the head. It was hard to tell if it helped much at all but it was a pain working with a piece of metal so hot. Problem was that even with a good fit in the key-holes, the metal is so thin that the force it took to budge it would mangle and round off the edges making further attempts harder. I finally managed to get the slug out far enough to file a new set of key-holes and wore them out by the time it finally came out. It wasn't like it "broke free", but a laborious effort of reheating, getting a good grip on a too hot to touch head, and trying desperately to not damage the thin metal using the required force to turn it.:scowl:

When it did come out it was painfully obvious why it was so difficult. Lathered would really be the best word to describe it. Regardless it ended up no worse for wear. No visible damage on the exterior, and interior now has some character with no ill effects otherwise.

The P3D on the other hand is pretty much toast. (Well the pill section anyway) I tried almost all the tricks I read about on it and nothing could even crack that initial seal. I even had the luxury of not worrying about the finish on the head as I had planned on polishing later. As long as I didn't get teeth marks on it it was fine. Nothing worked.

I had been trying combination of two strap wrenches and my vise to no avail. I could actually get the light end to grip in the vise covered by thick rubber bands, but the smaller strap wrench would eventually slip, disintegrating the rubber bands in the process. Well I figured if I could get the smaller end in the vise and use the larger strap wrench on the end of the head I just might get enough leverage. Even being as careful as I could be, the force I applied on the wrench torqued the head off axis a little and it bent. Not horribly, but more than I'd ever be able to live with.

With that done I just grabbed my cobra pliers and the battle was over. This light as well was completely lathered and not a single thread was left without glue. The emitter was not spared either in this glue-fest but I've done enough damage for one night and will save that for another time. Looks like I'm in the same boat as others here and need a new pill section for my P3D.

From what I can see with a 17x loupe, there is no seam to unscrew the slug from the pill which may be the reason qip broke his pliers. My guess is you'd have to dissolve the glue holding the board up under the emitter and push through one of the tiny holes to dislodge it. There is also the positive battery contact that could be unsoldered but I can't think of anything being hidden under there that might help removing the board. If anyone has any insight to this matter to help me salvage what's left it would be most appreciated. Otherwise my curious nature will eventually get the better of me I'm sure.

With the inconsistencies in difficulty to open most Fenix lights, it makes me curious to what exactly their policy is, written or unwritten, to the use and reason for the adhesives. To me, anything more than a dab of thread locker would be to discourage disassembly. While I can understand this logic with the hopes of bigger profits, I truly believe it would serve better to offer upgrade paths vs the purchase of new lights, but I guess that's a discussion for a different forum.

I didn't get a chance to try the heater hose trick and that was going to be my backup had I not bent my light. It sounds like a great idea and you can bet I'll have it at hand if there is a next time. I'd recommend it to anyone else that seems to have a heavily glued Fenix and other easier means have failed.

Cheers,
Eidolen

In the market for old, beat up P3Ds.

lyyyghtmaster

Newly Enlightened
Back when I got my first L2D, a P4, I read about the de-focusing mod to get rid of the dark ring. With the equivalent of the mouse pad method, it came loose fairly easily for defocusing, although I never actually separated the two pieces.

I've been dying to mod one of these, though, and now I just might do it. If so, I'll tell of the results. :naughty:

1 what

Enlightened
Just been reading this thread and thinking about putting a glo ring inside my P3D reflector...Note to the guys who tore up / marked their flashlight bodies - I did the same thing with an Inova about 12 months ago and found that heatshrink tube over the body looked fine and also gave a nice non-slip finish. I used black tube but most large outlets have multi colours...You could even do stripes (Which would give you extra grip):drool:.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
figured since its been a while I'd bring it back up in the search results for anybody who's looking. Boiled my L1Tv2.0 head ffor a few minutes (2-3 maybe), used some leather and some vicce grips and she came apart without too much trouble. The one recommendation I might have is to screw the head onto the body before you lock the vice grips on- didn't do this the first time and I could swear I saw the head start to collaps a little... But maybe I'm paranoid.

Did anybody use addhesive when reattaching the head? I'm planning on a drop of blue locktite and was curious how its worked out for others.

Last edited:

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've always used that as an antiseize type dressing (eg: works great in bicycle bottom bracket cups). Will it resist the twisty motion of level changes well?

ryahp

Newly Enlightened
already posted in thread
Fenix L2D-Q5 damaged/issue
www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?p=3234538
but thought it may be of interest here, too.

I succeeded in removing the Circuit board from the L2D head. It's obviously just glued into the front cap and is composed of two boards (both at least two-sided).

Mine probably had gotten lose already from opening up the front part where the Emitter is located. I was able to pull the whole part out after de-soldering the wires and slightly rotating the circuit board with combination pliers.

I removed the red rubber-like glue and re-soldered the SMD parts on the top circuit board (couldn't de-solder the bridge between the two boards with my current equipment).
For now the low and high power modes are working correctly again. I hope this will last for a while.