How to replace Fenix tailcap switch boot

x59628

Newly Enlightened
I have a Fenix L2T v2.0. It comes with a spare orange tailcap boot in the accesories package. I think it would be nice to have an orange tailcap boot, but I don't know how to replace it. It seems like it's pretty tight in there. If any of you could help, that would be great!

Marduke

Flashaholic
1) open a beer

2) unscrew the tailcap

3) next two the spring, locate two small holes

4) using some implements (needle nose pliers, nails, forceps, etc) stick something in those holes and unscrew this retaining ring.

5) carefully remove all of the insides, paying VERY careful attention to the order AND direction each piece comes out. they must all go back inside in the same order and orientation

6) eventually, the rubber boot comes out. replace the black one with orange

7) carefully put everything back the same exact way it came out

8) screw the retaining ring back in

9) open another beer

steps #1 and #9 are optional

oh, and :welcome:

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Repeat step 1 as often as necessary. :thumbsup:

1) open a beer

2) unscrew the tailcap

3) next two the spring, locate two small holes

4) using some implements (needle nose pliers, nails, forceps, etc) stick something in those holes and unscrew this retaining ring.

5) carefully remove all of the insides, paying VERY careful attention to the order AND direction each piece comes out. they must all go back inside in the same order and orientation

6) eventually, the rubber boot comes out. replace the black one with orange

7) carefully put everything back the same exact way it came out

8) screw the retaining ring back in

9) open another beer

steps #1 and #9 are optional

oh, and :welcome:

Marduke

Flashaholic
Put the tailcap in a thick plastic waterproof bag and boil it. If there is any Loctite, that will loosen it.

x59628

Newly Enlightened
lol, yeah

1. I'm only 14, so no beer for me :buddies:
2. There are only 3 components in the tailcap + the rubber boot :lolsign:

vudoo

Enlightened
I am trying to remove my switch to change the boot and this thread is really useful!

Question, I have tried to boil my switch in a plastic bag for 10-15 minutes but it still won't come off. Any other tips? :thinking:

chaosmagnet

Newly Enlightened
I am trying to remove my switch to change the boot and this thread is really useful!

Question, I have tried to boil my switch in a plastic bag for 10-15 minutes but it still won't come off. Any other tips? :thinking:

Make sure that the tips of whatever tool you're using is as deep inside the little divots on the ring as they can go. I've found that needle-nose pliers work well for this, and that regular long-nose pliers often do not. If your tool won't get a good purchase inside both divots, get a different tool.

If you still can't loosen it (turning counter-clockwise as you look down at the ring, with the spring pointed at your face), try tightening it no more than an eighth of a turn, and then loosening it again. If you can't get it to break loose after working it back and forth this way a few times, and after heating it up (although my Fenix lights had no Locktite in the tailcap ring), then Something Is Very Wrong, and you should consider returning the light for repair or replacement.

Billy Ram

Enlightened
I place my tail cap in a padded vice. This leaves you with 2 hands to work with. You can use 2 small punches that fit in the holes and then slide a screw driver between them to turn the retaining plate out. I have a small 90* needle nose pliers that work perfectly.
Billy

vudoo

Enlightened
I have a pair of pliers designed to use on split rings on case so they are very sturdy and fit well inside the 2 holes. It won't budge at all either way. I will have to try and find someone with a vice to give that a go.

I just can't believe how tight it is and now the switch is playing up after I boiled it in the bag. :confused:

drb

Newly Enlightened
Fenix switch boot?

Ive noticed that all my Fenix lights have always come with an extra rubber switch boot. What is the proper way to replace these?

Al_D

Newly Enlightened
Re: Fenix switch boot?

Ive noticed that all my Fenix lights have always come with an extra rubber switch boot. What is the proper way to replace these?

The answer lies above.

Short answer: Carefully.