I need some sound advice...

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just have to add that the talk of hotspots versus side or spill light actually is very important for your task of finding a dog at 200 yards. If the beam is too tight (all light in the hotspot), you can easily miss a dog that is just outside the hot spot of the beam. If the beam isn't tight enough, then it might not throw far enough.

To actually give some useful advice though, the US is probably the best bet, especially since you already have the Stinger HP. How is that light by the way?

Blacktop

Newly Enlightened
Something that helped me with the dogs is to put a Photon III on their collars. Just follow the bouncing light. Just my $.02.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got my LX bulbs direct from Brinkmann also, and they are 4.8 volt. Remember that in incan flashlights, the bulb voltage is almost always less than the battery voltage.

For 2AA use, the PR-4, K4, and KPR-104 are around 2.2 - 2.4 volts for use in a 3 volt light. Bulbs for 4.5 volt lights are usually 3.6 volts.

Remember that the under load voltage of the batteries is going to be less then the no-load voltage. The greater the draw, the lower the voltage under load.

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Unicorn said:
the US is probably the best bet, especially since you already have the Stinger HP. How is that light by the way?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the SL XT/HP and I have been super impressed with this light, I've had it for about 6 months and really like it. It is rated at 40k CP, it serves my purposes easily out to about 150 - 175 yds picking out my dogs in the dead of night while running them in the fields for their nightly runs. I have heard that the TigerLight while it is super bright the hot spot seems to diffuse after 150 yds thus I would have no practical use for it. I have no doubt the TigerLight would be wicked up to that 150yds. Also I have the fastcharge/piggy back charging station that I ordered with my XT/HP and the US can be used on the same 2.5 hour fastcharge setup. Also, Midway has a super nice sell on the US so... What the heck... Oh, the Stinger Line comes with adjustable focus I did notice that while I can narrow the hotspot to perhaps 4 - 6' in dia at 100 - 150yds there is plenty of spill light to go around.

Dukester...

Latest posts