I need something that doesn't exist

cityevader

Enlightened
Could have posted in the multi-tool forum, but felt it didn't fit...but may not fit here either. Some background first:

I'm a mechanic, and use a pocket screwdriver like this one
pocketscrewdriver.jpg
hundreds of times a day. Apart from my light, it is the single most valuable tool in terms of useage. From positioning/holding/scraping/prying/opening packages/and occasionally for screwing, it's in near constant use. If I forget it at home, I feel naked and can't seem to accomplish anything right.

While working, it's nestled in my breast pocket for immediate use. However, when not working and in "civilian" clothes, I have no way to carry it......enter "The Forge"

How easy would it be to make a minimalist folding one? All the ones I've Googled are folders like allen wrench style. Big and heavy multiple flip out tips. Also, they all seem to cater to actual driver functions. I don't need a bunch of drivers per se, just a pointy tool.

I'm almost ready to pull the handles off some screwdrivers and attach the bare blades with a pivot of some sort at the non-business end of each, so when folded the tips would be together, then unfolded to any angle (for a variety of working positions) or perfectly straight. Approx 2.5" folded and 5" straight would be ideal....I just don't have a practical way to attach/pivot them with no knowledge of knife building techniques.

Or to add a tiny bit of bulk to keep the thin "blades" from digging into pocket, perhaps a 2" legnth of flat bar, with "blades" opening out on opposite ends just like a pocketknife?

Any ideas out there?

cityevader

Enlightened
foldingscrewdriver.jpg

This would be the excessive one I mentioned.
I'm looking for a bare bones minimalist version. Just one flatblade and a single bar for a body, or else just one flatblade and a phillips blade to act as the body. Slim, with weight and overall footprint much reduced from what is currently available.

If I were to make an attempt, a good start would be to take two of the "blades" out of the above picture and run a bolt/nut through the eyelet ends of the blade so that when opened up it'd look like this: __O__
But a bolt/nut doesn't sound appealing. A smooth rivet would be nice.

kaptain_zero

Enlightened
Have you checked pocketscrewdrivers.com? A quick peek seems to indicate they might just have whatever it is you are looking for.

Regards

Kaptain "Screw this.... screw that..... Sheesh... I think I'm getting screwed" Zero

cityevader

Enlightened
nooo, I'm not looking for a screwdriver/bit driver that is pocketable. What is needed is...imagine the first picture above, with the shank/shaft able to be folded back alongside (or inside would be ideal) the handle. A 2.5" or so piece of somewhat slim round steel with a tip that happens to resemble a flatbladed screwdriver. I use this type of tool ridiculously often for nearly everything except screwing, and want to be able to fold that one in the first picture above.

kaptain_zero

Enlightened
Well, I now understand what you are wanting, I just can't think of a source for a ready made one or something close that could be adapted. The closest thing I can think of would be a pipe smokers tool... it was like a folding pocket knife except it had an awl like device for poking through holes and a couple of other blades for scraping and the like.... Check out a tobacconist store catering to pipe smokers. Actually, I just finished doing a google search for "pipe smokers tool" and found some online stores, one had a very nice range of tools that might fit your needs with minor modifications such as grinding off the tamper.

Having one made would be very simple to arrange but, but it's not without cost. Any small machine shop or gunsmith would be able to whip something up.... in my former life, I was a gunsmith and had all the tools available and would have been more than happy to help you out but alas, I no long have access to such a shop....

I would have suggested something retractable rather than folding but that would depend on the intended use...

I hope you find something suitable....

Regards

Christian

Last edited:

ducati900sp

Newly Enlightened
You might want to email Tom Anderson over on the USN and see if he could whip something up for you.

cityevader

Enlightened
Here's some pics of what I made, and darn right proud of it! Cut a length off a corner of some stamped sheet metal, pulled a screwdriver out of its handle, and torched/bent it round and bolted them together. A bit of handle length was left forward of the bolt to allow the blade to have a positive stop when fully open. Tapered the handle to eliminate unecessary material and lend a sleeker look, while fat enough towards the pivot to give even more turning power than the original plastic handle. I would love to get rid of the nut on the side, but I'm no knife maker.
The one good surprise was an initial mistake with not getting the bent loop perfectly inline with the length, causing blade to stick past the side when folding.....however, this actually allows a bit of tension when fully closing it, so that it "locks" closed.
This may be satisfactory enough to keep!

DSCN2509.jpg

DSCN2516.jpg

DSCN2520.jpg

cityevader

Enlightened
That was my second thought....to combine a simple blade along with the screwdriver....a knife is indespensible, and carrying one piece is a whole lot better than two.

Maybe I'll experiment...although I don't have many knives at all to try to gut....plus it would have to be a smaller blade...
For now I'll stick with separate tools since I'm not confident with blade mounting.

SmurfTacular

Enlightened
Why don't you make a dual purpose multi tool consisting of just a screw driver, and a small knife. You can try forging the knife yourself, but like you said, your not exactly a knife maker. Or you could just buy a cheapo knife at bladeplay and do some experimenting. Take pics and post em'!

cityevader

Enlightened
Well, I now understand what you are wanting, I just can't think of a source for a ready made one or something close that could be adapted. The closest thing I can think of would be a pipe smokers tool... it was like a folding pocket knife except it had an awl like device for poking through holes and a couple of other blades for scraping and the like.... I hope you find something suitable....

Regards

Christian

I had seen some prior to your suggestion, but they didn't seem right for the job so I initially dismissed your idea. But this morning I looked again and found almost exactly what I'm looking for. I say almost because the blade doesn't look sturdy, but it's hard to tell the size of it... However, it's a great compromise because it increases the EDC factor with two tools in one.
http://careysmokeshop.stores.yahoo.net/pipetool.html

tfilandm

Newly Enlightened
So you want a really skinny folding pocket knife with a flat screwdriver blade instead of a knife blade?

cityevader

Enlightened
whew, I'd almost forgotten this thread!
Yeah, but ideally, it would be a combination of a sturdy flat screwdriver (like my homemade) with additional knife blade in a thin folder in order to eliminate two separate carries.
But I just had my first kid (a son!) so guess where all my money/time goes now?

tfilandm

Newly Enlightened
Congratulations! Don't worry, I wasn't offering to build it for you:).

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
What you're talking about with the blade and screwdriver is very similar to the leatherman skeletool that I EDC. it folds open to be used as a decent screwdriver, and had exchangeable bits. I use mine daily as a screwdriver, and it hasn't let me down yet.

cityevader

Enlightened
Again, not to be rude, but my requirements were quite clear. I'm NOT looking for a "screwdriver" per se, especially not a bit driver. A three inch length of strong steel that has a narrowed tip suitable for light prying, scraping, piercing, and yes screwing, is the goal. Not a single-purpose "screwdriver".

Tfilandm: Thank you for not offering actually! So many of my little hobbies have now been rendered petty with the family addition, so i've almost totally lost interest in this tool endeavor of mine anyways.

Latest posts