I was wrong about the Mag 2C form factor...

Niteowl

Enlightened
MacTech said:
Okay, silly question here...

which 2C color is "rarer", straight purple, or purply-blue/bluish-purple.....

Hard to say. I haven't seen a purple on the shelves for sometime. Being the intended color, there may be more out in the world. The blue seems to be a quirk dye thing and may only be this latest batch. IF they produce more, it MAY be in the old purple. I'm hard pressed not to get some more blues to put away. I see more pewter than purples, and of course lots in black. Haven't seen a silver one yet.

MacTech said:
"Dude, why do you have a *purple* flashlight, that's a *girl's* color...."

Put one together in purple w/KPR112 for my father-in-law/big bad biker dude as kind of a joke. He loves it as his MC buddies have nothing quite like it. I've got a pic somewhere of him carrying it a recent outdoor weekend event.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sometimes you can't believe all the things that you read.
Did you read it on the web?

Actually, Mag does have a disclaimer in their warranty statement about not using rechargeable batteries with their products. And no doubt, there are situations and conditions where you probably shouldn't use NiMH batteries. A bit of discretion and common sense can go a long way.

On the other hand, I'm starting to come to the conclusion that it just isn't worth the trouble to use NiMH batteries in the Mag LED products (any of them,) they run so long on alkalines, it's not worth bothering with NiMH batteries.

david_winstanley said:
ermmm, thought i read that the M*gLed cant be run with NIMHs?

david_winstanley

Newly Enlightened
thx, its just i've got a 3C body thats not had batteries in for years as it eats them for breakfast.
nobody ever really did an (easy) mod for a 3C (im not very skilled) but a dropin and NIMH with long throw is my type of beast

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England
Yes Mag has a disclaimer to not use "rechargables", but do they mean NIMH, Nicad, Li-Ion, what?

i don't see how it'd be possible for a 1.2V NIMH battery to damage a MagLED module, heck, it's delivering a lower voltage than fresh primary alkalines, i've had 3 NIMH batteries running in my 3D MagLED for about 2 weeks now, using it intermittently, i have yet to see any problems, if the bulb does burn out prematurely i'll chalk it up to a learning experience, get a replacement bulb and switch back to alkies for my MagLEDs, running NIMH's won't hurt the host flashlight, i'd just be out a MagLED module

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never quoted myself before, but I guess there's always a first for everything :)

"A bit of discretion and common sense can go a long way."

Mostly it's more of a legal disclaimer. Much as you see people criticizing Mag about being litiguous, I think you'd find these very same people filing a pleading for unspecified damages if their no-name Chinese battery blew up their Mag and the complaint was that Mag did not test this type unknown battery before releasing the light to market. Bottom line is that they're covering themselves with the appropriate exclusions.

Electrically, the rechargeables can deliver more current than an alkaline, so if one of their bulbs is defective decides to tries to suck too much current, became an ROP, and melted the lens and reflector that subsequently dripped onto your pants and burned to the skin, Mag could stick their tounge out at you ;)

MacTech said:
Yes Mag has a disclaimer to not use "rechargables", but do they mean NIMH, Nicad, Li-Ion, what?

i don't see how it'd be possible for a 1.2V NIMH battery to damage a MagLED module, heck, it's delivering a lower voltage than fresh primary alkalines, i've had 3 NIMH batteries running in my 3D MagLED for about 2 weeks now, using it intermittently, i have yet to see any problems, if the bulb does burn out prematurely i'll chalk it up to a learning experience, get a replacement bulb and switch back to alkies for my MagLEDs, running NIMH's won't hurt the host flashlight, i'd just be out a MagLED module

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
david_winstanley -

Total speculation on my part here but because the MagLED drop-in has heat sense resistoring (probably the wrong technical terminology)[edit] Thermistor [/edit], if the circuit or the LED got too hot from too much Voltage forward a lessor path would be used. I don't know what that lessor path can handle. I don't even own a MagLED.

Sometimes NiMhs are not a good choice for lights that are designed to be run on alkalines because NiMh cells have less internal resistance and can therefore deliver more current.

Thermal runaway for an LED is when so much current is delivered to the light emmiting diode that its natural resistance is lowered allowing even more acceptance of current. This can result in a death spiral. I don't think this is likely with 3 NiMhs running against the 3 cell MagLED module.

That Mac Tech is using this set up successfully bodes well for it being viable.

david_winstanley said:
thx, its just i've got a 3C body thats not had batteries in for years as it eats them for breakfast.
nobody ever really did an (easy) mod for a 3C (im not very skilled) but a dropin and NIMH with long throw is my type of beast

Ahem and Hurmph. There is my extremely unpopular 3C ROP 1400 post #4.

Mac Tech -

I like Mag C cells for their ergonomics much better than Mag D cells.

The iridescent purplish-blue/blueish-purple Mag 2C NightOwl sent me reminds me of this dynamic paint job known as Plum Crazy for production Challengers.

challenger1.jpg

Last edited:

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
I must agree with the positives of the C-cell form factor. I just presented my brother with his old Mag 2C with a led upgrade from Lighthound. He was going to throw it away as he had let some old Duracells leak in it for a loooong time. A bit of spit and WD40 and sanding and dremelling later, voila!
He loved the led too.
I think he must be a closet flashaholic.
Now I've given it back to him, I'm missing it!!
Must see if I can get a couple of old stock Mag 2 and 3 C's!

Be lucky...

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
This forum is just evil.:mad:
I never have owned a 2C mag, and had no intentions of buying one, especially in any color other than black. I've owned D mags, AA mags, solitaire, etc. All black. Black is the color a flashlight should be unless it is HAIII natural...
THEN YOU GUYS START THIS THREAD!:drool:
Next thing I know, I find myself cruising flashlightreviews.com and looking at the MagLED runtimes and surfing webpages looking for pictures of colored mags.:wtf:
I trip to the store later and I've got a pewter and blue/purple one. The store only had two that were not black and I did the CPF thing... bought em' both. :stupid: Now I'll have to go all over town looking for 2C and 3C colored mags while they are still out there.:shakehead
I hate you guys.:hahaha: :thumbsup:

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually black was not a common color for flashlights until the early 70's when cops were being ambushed for sport by political extremists. The black presented a less visiable target in the night, and Kel Lite capitalized on it. The rest is history.

But I agree. I haven't owned a C cell light in years, but found the C cell Mags to be perfect for the LED modules. The shorter battery life will not let me leave disposable batteries sitting in there until they leak. And if I should use rechargeables, there is no way where I would ever use up the charge from a D sized NiMH battery; the C sized NiMH batteries in the 4500-5000 mAh range are perfect in the event that extended run times are needed. Realistically, I could probably get by with AA NiMH in adapters, or department store C sized NiMH batteries most of the time with those LED modules.

Hogokansatsukan said:
This forum is just evil.:mad:

Black is the color a flashlight should be unless it is HAIII natural...

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have any C cell lights but I do have c batteries for some reason. I also got those adapters thingys with my lacrosse charger. So just for kicks I loaded up the 3D with 3C's. It is now noticable lighter and I don't feel that urge to go out and buy a 2c Mag.

Niteowl

Enlightened
cave dave said:
I don't have any C cell lights but I do have c batteries for some reason. I also got those adapters thingys with my lacrosse charger. So just for kicks I loaded up the 3D with 3C's. It is now noticable lighter and I don't feel that urge to go out and buy a 2c Mag.

How well does that 3D fit in your back pocket? :laughing:

Try a 2C with 3x123s and see just how bright and light it gets. I dare you...... I'll send you an adapter if you'd like to get you started. :naughty:

Hogokansatsukan said:
This forum is just evil........I find myself cruising flashlightreviews.com and looking at the MagLED runtimes and surfing webpages looking for pictures of colored mags.......

Here's one.
000_0848.jpg

I doubt you'll find any colored 3C's. Good luck.

david_winstanley

Newly Enlightened
okay, with all the above in mind ( including my lesser skills) what would be the best long throw type upgrade for my 3C.

intend to run 3 AA NIMH in adapters.

Drop in is preferable.

thx
D

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm curious as to how you're going to fit 3 AAs into a C tube.

It's not really of any use, but I found out that you can use 3AAA adapters from Garrity lights as a 3AAA-C adapter, but AAA batteries just don't have enough capacity for any kind of a high wattage mod.

david_winstanley said:
okay, with all the above in mind ( including my lesser skills) what would be the best long throw type upgrade for my 3C.

intend to run 3 AA NIMH in adapters.

Drop in is preferable.

thx
D

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're referring the 1A to C sized adapters, they'll work. If you're going to go that route, you'll probably be best served by dropping in one of the Mag LED modules. It is a relatively simple and reliable upgrade that requires no complex modifications.

david_winstanley said:
oops - sorry. i meant an adapter which allows a AA to fit into a C size - acts like a sleeve. i have loads of AA but no C NIHMs

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Hey, RadioShack (at least the ones in NYC) seem to only sell 2 Full-size Maglite models: A black 3-D, and a black 2-C. They've got plenty of 2-Cs......

And because of this thread, I'll be picking one up. Never knew they could be just as good as their D-cell brothers. There's also a store in Lower Manhattan called Tents & Trails. (Mostly catering to Yuppie Backpackers). They sell the Niteize LED kits for the mini-mag and the C & D cells as well.