I'm no Modder, but I can Solder. NovaTac 120 Upgrade!

bansuri

Enlightened
Interesting development!

Got one of those Nova EDC Ultimate 60 M7964's; slapped in the old K2 mod and it's just as bright as the 120. There may be a slight difference but it's so close as to not be noticeable in a sequential comparison.

The increase in brightness over the original emitter in the 60 is astounding.
Of course I was in too big a hurry to wait for sundown to take beamshots, but the 60 looks pretty much like the other shots I posted.

maxpower419

Newly Enlightened
I would be very grateful if someone could point me in the direction of someone who could do this mod for me (and perhaps polish my novatac)... Just dont feel like taking the risk and screwing it up, I have been all thumbs lately:oops:

Thanks guys

merlocka

Enlightened
Modified an 1xxxx 85P. It went smoothly. I just marked the old LED (relative to the sink, hooked both old and new up to a 3v battery to figure out +/-, and fit the new K2 in.

The trimming of the new K2 was a little tricky. I clipped the corners with a set of side-snips, but in one corner I almost clipped too much. Then I grabbed a dremel with a wire-wheel and smoothed the edges out. In hindsight, I shoulda just used the dremel.

Popped it all back together.

The tint is very nice. I don't mind the beam, it's still a very smooth dispersion, just more of a hotspot than the SSC. Before I started, I matched levels on my old/new 85's so I could compare. It's a big improvement in both color and output.

timbo114

Enlightened
I've tried snap ring pliers and my dial caliper .... nothing will budge the retaining ring in my 85T head.

Anyone have a LE thats thread locked in their light?

I have my K2 and I'm itching to get this mod done.

:banghead:

bansuri

Enlightened
I had to use a set of needlenose with my hand wedged between the handles to prevent the tips from camming out on my 85. You may even consider buying a set and grinding the tips specifically for this operation.

bansuri

Enlightened
Changed link on post #1 to new PhotonFanatic sales thread as the old ones were sold out.
Still a chance to get in on this mod!