infrared flashlights

v8440

Newly Enlightened
Most infrared flashlights are led from what I can see, so this looked like the proper forum for this. I would like to get an infrared flashlight to augment the led ir spotlight built into a cheap gen 1 nightvision monocular I have. Ideally the flashlight would be mounted on a headband so that I could just look where I wanted the light to be. Do any of you folks have any experience with such lights?

v8440

Newly Enlightened
My thinking now is that I probably ought to just order an IR filter cap to put over the end of my 4d maglight. It will probably give by far the most visible (to my nvd) ir light for the money, considering I already have the flashlight. Plus I still have a conventional incan light by simply flipping the filter out of the way.

Any opinions on this thought train?

IPSC_GUY

Newly Enlightened
Try one of the Solar Force 3W IR P60 sized Drop ins. It will make a WORLD of difference with a Gen 1.

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

v8440

Newly Enlightened
They make those for d cell maglights? If so, that might be worth checking into. The only downside to that is that I then don't have a flashlight I can use for seeing with visible light unless I stop and swap bulb assemblies. With a filter, I could just flip it aside IF I can find one that slips on over the end of the light. So far, all the IR filters I've found for my light are just lense replacements. That isn't that much more convenient than an IR led setup, since something still has to be disassembled in the dark to end up with visible light.

Marduke

Flashaholic
IR filters with LED lights works rather poorly, since LED's emit virtually no IR wavelength. That leaves you with an incan light and a filter (VERY inefficient setup), or something similar to the aforementioned IR P60 type dropin.

Having 2 separate flashlights is a good thing.