Inova X1 - Quick & Dirty Review

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got my X1 after a 6 month backorder from Meridian. First impression: nice build. Solid like the X5. Nice switch. Second impression - Use testing: Got to send this thing back. I can't imagine a use for a light with these characteristics. 1. Beam is so tight that even looking through my basement shelves was a chore as I had to keep scanning the spot hither and yon just to light stuff up so I can see it. This is a direct result of the optics and complete lack of spill light. 2. The beam is so dim that by the distance that it takes to form a useful spot (about 2-3' diameter) the light is too dim to be of much use.

A better choice? The CMG Infinity Ultra. Probably about the same output, more useful light spot, regulated, cheaper.

Wilkey

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
Makes me glad I've got the Arc AA's! Thanks for the quickie, now I know not to waste my money. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I like Inova, their durability, fit and finish is usually very nice, it's too bad about the tight spot, I would have been interested if it had been a more useful beam. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ginseng,

Have you sent it back already? Maybe you should try selling it here on the CPF. I'm sure someone wants one on this discussion board. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

TCG

Newly Enlightened
I couldn't disagree more. I got one today and like it alot.
The beam is tight. Its about the same size as the hotspot on the brinkman longlife 2aa, but much brighter. If I shine it on the wall and compare it to my lsh-p second, the beam is easily visible over the hotspot of the lsh.

I juat compared it to my arc AA by shining it across a dark room. Its hard to tell the arc aa is even on. Don't get my wrong, I love the arc AA and it is mush more usefull for navigating a dark room with its wider spill. The x1 has a much better throw and is great for putting a spot on something in a dark room 30 or 40 feet away.

I'll grab the meter...

at 1 meter
lsh-p 332 lux.
arc aa 22lux
cpf aaa 18 lux
inova x1 80 lux peak (a little off center, the center is about 74lux)

The light meter reading do not make it seem like the x1 beam could be seen over the lsh-p, but none the less it is.

maybe you have a dead battery in the x1.

TCG

Newly Enlightened
yeah must be. here is a beam shot
of the x1 and the lsh-p held about 1 foot above a sheet of
white paper.

lsh-x1.jpg

TCG

Newly Enlightened
Damit!

with that last post, cpf changed me from a "newbie" to a "flashaholic". Its not all the lights I have bought lately, its the damn posting that got me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif <- first time I used those goofy things too.

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to flashoholism, TCG! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Regardless of the brightness of the hotspot, the tight beam makes the X1 pretty much useless to me. I need that spill too!

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I agree TSG. It appears to have absolutely no spill whatsoever. Not sure what it would be useful for unless there's a contest for projecting smal blue dots on an object.

Atomic6

Flashlight Enthusiast
The spots will be useful for map reading, ushers in dark theaters, looking for small pieces of hardware in the carpet etc.

this_is_nascar -Are you saying that this is one of the rare new model intros that you have not bought a gross of ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm, A6, I do believe you have an excellent point there. Those sound like great uses. I have an original Infinity in red that offers great map lighting as it's not too bright, but the tiny spot of this light, maybe in green, like the ones from CC might be good too especially for passengers that don't want to kill a drivers night vision (green let's you distiguish colored map details better than red too). And the lack of spill would be excellent for theatre ushers, alot more refined looking than a cheap C powered light too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

EDIT: My cats would probably dig chasing that little spot around the dark room too!

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
this_is_nascar said:
I agree TSG. It appears to have absolutely no spill whatsoever. Not sure what it would be useful for unless there's a contest for projecting smal blue dots on an object.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not too useful if you have a one light system. I think it will prove useful in combination with other lights, such as a 2 or 3 5mm LED headlamp, or Arc AA. I don't know yet, since I haven't gotten mine. It shipped Tuesday, and I still don't have it. Errrr!

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think in a small mostly short range led light, I would have to go with a wider beam. Yeah, it can project a beam 30-40 feet, but my primary use for 5mm led lights is close range 1'-5'. If I want to see something at 30-40' I will reach for a SLGI. I won't be purchasing one of these unless someone puts a LS in it!

dreamlogic

Newly Enlightened
here's some beamshots, daylight color balance:

x1-filter.jpg

Inova X1 with a piece of transparent film in front (similar to scotch tape but less distorting)

x1.jpg

Inova X1 unmodified

aaa.jpg

Arc AAA Standard

x1-aaa.jpg

here's all the beamshots in the same image

if you don't like the narrowness of the x1 beam, a piece of scotch tape or some other translucent film will fix it. of course, different films will affect the width of the beam. i like the x1 the way it is though.

Azreal911

Enlightened
This light is exactly the same characteristics in beam pattern as the led lenser v2 mini moon that i've got, it runs on 1 x aaa and is really well built plus it has a glass magnifying lens in the head of the light giving it the same funky spot without a beam. But the advantage to the mini moon is that you can unscrew out the head and remove the glass magnifying lens without any tools to replace it with a non magnifying plastic or glass lens. can you guys do this to the X1? it would at least give it a really nice "useful" flood. cause that magic moon light to me is a nice piece of novelty basically in this form.