Inova XS - 2 mode AAA LED Flashlight

MattSPL

Enlightened
Thanks for the pics, looks great :D

You might also like the new Olight S10 for your job, because it has a magnetic base. I got mine a few days ago.

Cheers
Matt

LG&M

Enlightened
Any new thoughts on this light? My Mom wants a small light & I think this might be good or a Olight i3.
Thanks

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any new thoughts on this light? My Mom wants a small light & I think this might be good or a Olight i3.
Thanks

I gave one to my Dad the other day.
He really likes it and I got him to understand the mode switching too.
He will never use the mode switching too.
So much for the long run times?

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
So far, I like mine a lot. Very nice beam and they have given this light two very usable modes. The light gives a solid impression, and the build quality appears to be much better than what the price would indicate. The only thing giving it away as a cheap light is the plastic lens. I would by it again if I loose it or if I need a AAA light for gift (I have already given one away).

Jekyll & Hyde

Newly Enlightened
Thanks

Very very slightly larger and heavier than the i3, but quite classy and built like a tank. Great beam with a nice tint. No clip, but most females just drop it in a purse.
IMHO the UI is better for novices (comes on in high).

I give away the i3 to guys, and the XS to gals. i3 colors are fun; XS in silver is sweet.

Good luck! J&H

Last edited:

BlackhawkB

Newly Enlightened
I like this light, I would like to buy it but I don't want to be disappointed by the high mode, which is only 53 lumens, while a i3 gets 70 lumens and 3 modes
Is it possible to open up the light and then maybe mod it ?

ef9sleeper

Newly Enlightened
the xs lives just fine on a diet of aw 10440's, althoughit does get quite warm within 30 seconds to a minute. it is noticeably brighter and obviously there are no modes.

Illum

Flashaholic
After Nite Ize merged with Inova they started putting modes in their lights.
Inova X5 too started with two modes [inova X5DM-HB]

radu1976, Eneloop AAAs operated safely in this light then? The negative contact on Eneloop AAAs is not an isolated contact like their AAs. I have had incidents where Eneloop AAAs shorted out because the negative contact of the cell is touching the flashlight body. This happens often in penlights

2.FOH.

Newly Enlightened
Resurrecting an older topic (a google search for the XS actually brought me to the site in the 1st place)

POWER. I saw no discernible difference in intensity in light output between 1.2v and 1.5v cells. I'm aware that many other AAA lights support 10440 cells, but Ive never known Inova's AA lights to support li-ion, and decline to be the guinea pig for that experiment with the AAA model. (I will however happily read about another member's experiences with 10440 cells, if somebody wants to perform the experiment with this light.)...

Unfortunately, I'll be the guinea pig here.
It appears the XS is not meant to use 10440 cells.

Upon removing the copper top that was in it, I put a 10440 in and started
twisting the cap shut. I noticed (felt?) an barely audible *click* & then...nothing.
The tell tale faint electrical fire smell (much more noticable when I took the battery out)
let me know things weren't well.

Bugger. I killed the poor thing.

It doesn't appear to be serviceable, but if someone has suggestions on how to repair it,
I'm all ears.

I purchased the 'Ti' version on Amazon for $20 & liked it quite a bit.
Oddly enough, there were a few things about the light I wasn't very fond of:

- I don't like the S clip/lanyard it comes with. It's too long for keychain carry IMHO.
- The hole for the lanyard won't facilitate a split ring & is too tight for paracord.
- The knurling is barely noticeable & without the S clip attached, the light will roll
around on it's side with ease.
- It won't tail stand, although the temp on off tail switch is nice.
- It's not particularly small, coming in ~ 1/4" longer than my Maratac AAA & even
longer than the Fenix E0-5.
- No pocket clip.

That said..... I will buy another one. I really do like the XS.

As mentioned, the light this thing puts out is great ('creamy white' is an apt description).
It's comparable with ThruNite's Ti, though slightly down on the Maratac AAA.
The matte silver finish is both durable and attractive & contrasts subtly with the more polished
finish on the lens bezel. It really is a classy looking light & would go well in dressier occasions.
It does look nicer than a $20.00 light should.

Up to my attempt at hot-rodding, it was rock solid & reliable. I have access to some
wire fabricating tools & will see if I can make a pocket clip for it.

edit_preview.php

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
..., I put a 10440 in and started
twisting the cap shut. I noticed (felt?) an barely audible *click* & then...nothing. ...

Bugger. I killed the poor thing. ... The hole for the lanyard won't facilitate a split ring & is too tight for paracord. ..

Sorry the experiment destroyed the XS. Thanks for publishing the results.

The supplied S-biner and string lanyard went into storage immediately after receiving the XS. I have the same titanium colored XS and was able to stuff 550 paracord through the small hole in the tailcap after removing the inner strands from the cord.

I have a few handfuls of Peak, Arc, Fenix, and other 1AAA lights and the Inova XS remains one of my favorites due to its construction and having 2 good brightness levels. I have been using the XS almost every night since its purchase 3 months ago.

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I actually like the S-biner and the extra length it gives me. I also find it nice that it is so fast to detach and attach it to the key ring.

2.FOH.

Newly Enlightened
I have the same titanium colored XS and was able to stuff 550 paracord through the small hole in the tailcap after removing the inner strands from the cord.

Good suggestion on the gutted cord. I'll give it a try when the new light shows up.
(yes, I ordered another one)

Slazmo

Enlightened
I loved my X1 so much that I ordered another for myself and another for a work colleague... I myself have a Owner St/St split ring - ball bearing swivel and then the lanyard. I just love how it spins for what it seems forever!

Cant fault the X1 at all and I am pretty dissapointed that I didnt see the AAA version - aww well looks like another torch in the near future...

JNieporte

Enlightened
I received a black XS as a gift. It's nice. I wish it has an optional clicky, but no worries, it's still pretty good for $20.

raptechnician

Newly Enlightened
A guy at work has one of these. He mentioned the runtime is not great on high, but other than that he loves it. Especially a good light for the non flashaholic, with its low price range and simple UI.

Last edited:

DaveG

Enlightened
I have one also,I like it, good to throw in in your pocket cliped to a SAK,for EDC.

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
A guy at work has one of these. He mentined the runtime is not great on high, but other than that he loves it. Especially a good light for the non flashaholic, with its low price range and simple UI.

Is he using an alkaline or a nimh rechargeable, he would get better runtime with a nimh or a lithium battery such as Energizer Ultimate. Lithium.

ef9sleeper

Newly Enlightened
Wow, old thread. Maybe I got lucky in the fact that my xs is still going strong on aw's 10440's. It still works with the normal batteries as well.
The tint changed to a noticeably cooler too.