Intel or AMD ??? Help me choose !!!

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Nice 3500 system. One thing I would recommend is spending a little more on higher quality memory than *generic* ram. Also take the time to buy a NICE case. I have had generic cases and for about $20 more you can get a nicer case that will both look better and be easier to work with. Make sure and order extra cooling fans also. The last system I built I had parts coming from 3 places. I ordered the case, power supply and drives from allstarshop.com and the motherboard processor ram and video card from gameve.com. I was also looking at newegg.com but they didn't have all the stuff I wanted and I didn't want to have to order from 4 places. The third place I ordered from was to specifically get office 2000 pro which I couldn't find anywhere else.

jtice

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Lynx_Arc said:
Also take the time to buy a NICE case. I have had generic cases and for about $20 more you can get a nicer case that will both look better and be easier to work with. Make sure and order extra cooling fans also.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL :luagh: aparently you havnt seen... Project ECHELON /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have decided to go with an AMD. Seems more ppl like AMD, and it seems to meat my multi media needs well.

Thanks alot for the input guys !!!
I will keep my site up to date on my progress.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I don't always look at all URLS since I have dialup but it looks interesting. I cannot quite see everything from the pics but I would possibly keep in mind you may have to add shielding to part of the case you have made if the RF the processors/GPU make interferes with things. For now AMD is the bomb, top dog etc when it comes to price/performance however that could change next time Intel comes out with something else. I haven't kept up completely with processors but I have heard AMDs latest version have SSE3 etc but I am unsure if the 3500 90nm is one of those but I would look into it further. If you don't like noise you could even consider water cooling the cpu/GPU I have thought about that in my next system myself.

jtice

Flashaholic
Ok, this is hell....

I am looking at all the 64 bit AMDs, and my head is spinning,

I want something as good, or better than a intel 3.4Ghz.

So, I think thats a 3500+ ?
But theres about 5 on here that all look about the same, but total differnt prices.

That should I get? Im going mad!!!!
I would like to keep it around the $300 range. OEM is fine.

THANKS !!

~John

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
It looks like the 90nm is the Winchester core, there is a .13 micron or 130nm core also is Newcastle. Here is a small article I found comparing the two cores Here It looks like the winchester (90nm) core is slightly faster and cooler. If you were up to overclocking you may be able to get the 90nm 3200+ and run it at 3500+ or greater speeds for cooler than the 3500 130micron newcastle and for a cheaper price. I am not a rabid advocate of overclocking but with excessive over cooling I wouldn't pass on 10-15% overclocking if others have success at even higher speeds.

3_gun

Enlightened
And yet for my daily use (email,forums,storage,etc) an Intel 3.4ghz duel core w/2g of DDR ram + 192mb of dedicated video & a 80g main/1t storage HD(s) still works just fine with XP SP3

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Just the other day I was reading an article on the 6nm AMD 6000 series vs the newest Intel.
The headline was something like 'Fail' AMD or something like that.

The test gave graphs on how the Intel slightly beat AMD ect..........

>>>>>>>>>>>>The thing to take away from it was the AMD only used 45W while the Intel was using 112W

laughoutloud!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Burgess

Flashaholic
Less Heat ? ? ?

Very Interesting !

Because (for me),
fan noise can be SO irritating !