• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Introducing FLuPIC V2.1 firmware! Updated 8/4/2005

benighted

Enlightened
I am loving my Flupic in my Q3. Just one question does the "Max Brightness" setting = the "burst" setting you have been mentioning? My light barely gets warm on "max brightness"

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, MAX = burst mode but 20/20 or 10/10 is not MAX.

Make sure you have a fully charged battery and if it still doesn't get hot, could it mean your heatsinking is not effective?

benighted

Enlightened
goldserve said:
Sorry, MAX = burst mode but 20/20 or 10/10 is not MAX.
Ok, that makes sense. Thanks for clarifying.
goldserve said:
Make sure you have a fully charged battery and if it still doesn't get hot, could it mean your heatsinking is not effective?
I've been using fully charged batteries and I did the 2 penny mod to the stock heatsink and it sits nice and tight against the body.

I just now added some thermal paste under the star and it seems to have helped but it still doesn't seem to get nearly as hot as it did before I installed the Flupic. Better efficiency = less heat?

Also what do you think would be brighter in my setup? UX0J or TWOH star?
I hope you don't mind all of my questions.:candle:

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm no thermal expert so I can't tell you why it doesn't get a hot but TWOH is very good already and you can use CR123s but if you've got the extra cash, the UWOJ + RCR123 should be brighter. Cheers!

havand

Enlightened
How hard can one of these drive a k2 @ about 4-4.2 volts? I'm having trouble finding a board capable of pushing 1.5A on burst. :/

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast
Answered on in my other thread, the flupic won't drive a K2 at 4V to 4.2V very hard at all. You may need to look for another converter board if you want to use the K2s.

benighted

Enlightened
doc_felixander said:
Do you have any experiences regarding the lifetime of either the PIC or the LDOs?

I don't know if this helps but I've been using mine in my Q3 everyday since I've had it. So far I've only worn out 1 clicky switch and replaced it, the flupic is still going strong. Even though I'm (usually) not that hard on stuff it has survived a 2 story drop onto concrete.

frisco

Enlightened
Hi all,

I just bought a very cool E1L/Flupic from Cmacclel.

Ahhhh.... I've seen the charts.... but can't make out heads or tails how to program this thing!

Are there step by step instructions some place online here? Do I have to sign up for a class?

Sorry to sound so "Stupid" am I the only one that can't figure it out?

HELP.... I have this great light and I don't know how to work it !!!!

Thanks, frisco

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast
All you need to know is that you leave the light on for more than 1 second, it will revert back to stage 1

Turn on the light and turn it off within 1 second, the next time you turn it on, it will be in the next stage.

With that being said, print out the guide coresponding to V2.2 firmware or V2.1 firmware.

The firmware comes in default UI 1.

Turn on the light, turn it off quickly. Take a breath. The next time you turn it on, it will be in the next stage. If you want to advance states, turn it off quickly.

The key is you can take a good long breath after each time you turn it off. It will always advance to next state if you turned it off within 1 second the time before.

In low, med, and max, you will see a blink. That blink represents the 1 second mark and if you turn it off after the blink, it will start off at stage 1.

Hope that helps. Cheers!

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
What happens if you turn it back on "too soon"? Is that how you set the output? BTW, what's "FLuPIC" stand for?

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast
You mean turn it on, off then ON really fast? i don't see a problem with that...

But if you turn it on and then OFF really fast, there is a time limit for the flupic to register an on...on the order of 300ms.

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Archangel said:
BTW, what's "FLuPIC" stand for?

Just guessing here (Kevin can clear this up):

microcontroller = uPIC (MicroChip 12F629)
F = F series uC ??
L = LDO voltage regulator