Is there a brighter flashlight within these specs?

OnSwitch

Newly Enlightened
Hello Everyone,

I recently acquired a Cree Q5 LED flashlight.* For what it is, it is not a bad flashlight. It is what it is not that brings me to the forum to consult the experts.

There are three specs this light has that are critical for me:

1) It is small (3.5 inches long and 1 inch in diameter.)
2) It takes a single AA battery.
3) It goes to full brightness (i.e. 1200 lumens**) on the first click of the tailcap switch.

My question for the forum - Is there another flashlight that:

a) Is the same diameter and (approximately) the same length (see below).
b) Takes a single AA battery.
c) Is *brighter* than 1200 Lumens** and goes "full power" with the first click of the tailcap switch.

I understand that there larger, better, and brighter flashlights out there that require a different power source than one AA battery. However, for my particular needs, I am seeking a flashlight that runs on a single AA battery, is no larger than 4.5 inches long (i.e. up to 1 inch longer than the Cree Q5) and 1 inch in diameter, and will provide a light brighter than 1200 Lumens with the first click of the tailcap switch.

If a flashlight exists that falls within the above parameters, can someone please tell me the make and model? Alternatively, in the unlikely event a drop-in kit with a brighter LED for the Q5 exists, that might solve all of my problems in one fell swoop.

Any ideas?

*Anyone not already familiar with the Cree Q5 can get an idea of what it is like here:

**I have been informed the lumen rating on this particular flashlight is often overestimated. If anyone knows the actual lumen rating for the Cree Q5, please do not hesitate to offer the correct figure.

Last edited:

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let's get some things straight. There is no such thing as a Cree Q5 l.e.d. Q5 is a brightness/efficiency bin of an l.e.d., most likely a Cree XR-E. That l.e.d. came out around 2006-2007. It's outdated by about 15 years. That l.e.d. will output a maximum of around 200 lumens, and on 2 123A cells, not 1 AA. It is close to 100 lumens per watt. Newer l.e.d.s are 160-200+ lumens per watt. Your "1200" lumen flashlight is most likely around 100-120 lumens. Suggest you get a decent light that doesn't exaggerate lumen claims. Currently, it is physically impossible to get 1200 lumens out of an alkaline AA battery. You may get around 300+ lumens with a newer l.e.d. You can get close with at least a 4 amp rated lithium ion AA (14500) battery. 1200 lumens is brighter than a 75 watt light bulb. My recommendation is a Klarus XT1A flashlight ($50). It will put out 1000 lumens on a usb rechargeable lithium ion cell (included) and 300 lumens on a regular AA. For that size, you're going to have two problems: heat buildup causing short runtimes on turbo before the light has to drop down in brightness, and internal resistance from alkaline batteries limiting how much light the flashlight can put out. A lot of us have settled on 21700 or 18650 lithium ion sized lights that can both have the power to maintain high brightness and have enough heatsinking from being large enough to not instantly dim down. A decent one of those bigger lights for you would be a 1200 lumen Nitecore MH-12 v2 flashlight.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Hello Everyone,

I recently acquired a Cree Q5 LED flashlight.* For what it is, it is not a bad flashlight. It is what it is not that brings me to the forum to consult the experts.

There are three specs this light has that are critical for me:

1) It is small (3.5 inches long and 1 inch in diameter.)
2) It takes a single AA battery.
3) It goes to full brightness (i.e. 1200 lumens**) on the first click of the tailcap switch.

My question for the forum - Is there another flashlight that:

a) Is the same diameter and (approximately) the same length (see below).
b) Takes a single AA battery.
c) Is *brighter* than 1200 Lumens** and goes "full power" with the first click of the tailcap switch.

I understand that there larger, better, and brighter flashlights out there that require a different power source than one AA battery. However, for my particular needs, I am seeking a flashlight that runs on a single AA battery, is no larger than 4.5 inches long (i.e. up to 1 inch longer than the Cree Q5) and 1 inch in diameter, and will provide a light brighter than 1200 Lumens with the first click of the tailcap switch.

If a flashlight exists that falls within the above parameters, can someone please tell me the make and model? Alternatively, in the unlikely event a drop-in kit with a brighter LED for the Q5 exists, that might solve all of my problems in one fell swoop.

Any ideas?

*Anyone not already familiar with the Cree Q5 can get an idea of what it is like here:

**I have been informed the lumen rating on this particular flashlight is often overestimated. If anyone knows the actual lumen rating for the Cree Q5, please do not hesitate to offer the correct figure.
All that for $8? I definitely want some of those babies.