Is There an LED Version of Oven Lamps?

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
For conventional ovens, no. Filament incandescents are glass/metal which can take the high temperatures. LED bulbs use a lot of plastic, but even if they used glass and metal, the semiconductors including LEDs could not withstand high temperatures. Silicon self-destruct is around +175C, LED materials similar or perhaps lower. In any case, for long life, bulb would need operating ambient well below +100C.

Not sure about microwave bulbs, it's a different environment.

Dave

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Ya I know who in their right mind walks around with a flashlight wherever they go. But people do Some even carry more then one!!

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I would be nervous about putting an LED bulb in a microwave oven's light socket. It's so close to that 700 watt RF source (1.1kw in some ovens) that I think it would burn out almost instantly. It's the only place in our home where we still have an incandescent bulb in there. We installed LED bulbs in the fridge awhile back and they're doing quite well in the low temperature.

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Panasonic 1200W microwave I bought last year came with a filament-style LED lamp, like this:

It seems well protected in a perforated steel cage.

But when it comes to the regular oven, I got a traditional incandescent. Mine is a funny, small size and a normal bulb won't fit. I assumed this use has a waiver from energy laws, and it seemed kinda expensive.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
My Panasonic 1200W microwave I bought last year came with a filament-style LED lamp, like this:

It seems well protected in a perforated steel cage.

But when it comes to the regular oven, I got a traditional incandescent. Mine is a funny, small size and a normal bulb won't fit. I assumed this use has a waiver from energy laws, and it seemed kinda expensive.
Interesting. I wonder if that light has been ruggedized somehow.