LED Night Light Wall Plates

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a few LED night light wall plates around our farm. I have them in the house, the garages and the barn.

I am now looking for one to appease my wife. The Lumicover white light is too bright for her, even though it is in the hallway away from our master bedroom.

Does anybody make a similar LED wall plate that is a softer color? I have looked, but haven't found any, yet, so I assume not.

In the alternative, what would be the best way to modify this to make it a bit dimmer? Right now I have three strips of blue masking tape over the light and it is okay. Would I be better off with blue electrical tape? Would it be worthwhile to swap out the white LEDs with a different color?

I have read that the color red is the most soothing colors to promote a good night's sleep.

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
I looked at some LED wallplate (socket) covers, they were either overpriced or was not impressed with quality of some the lower-priced ones. They are inflexible once installed. As alternative I suggest a separate LED night light, there are many out there. It will use one socket, but you can add a 2-6 socket expander to compensate.

If it's a switch plate with no outlets, you'd have to replace the switch with a switch/socket combo, may be more trouble than it's worth.

As for mods, could be a bit tricky depending on design. Some use a single resistor controlling LED brightness so it's possible if you can identify it, but could be a warranty/insurance liability.

Reminds me of my first "backlighted" light-switch night light using neon bulb and resistor, wired across the light switch; so was on when the switch was off. Besides running all day, the electrical inspector noticed it and requested it be removed (a non-approved device), which I did.

Dave

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for the reply.

So far, she seems happy with the moderate blue light.