iTP H01 design flaw

Incidentalist

Enlightened
I recently purchased an iTP H01 after hearing all of the positive comments about it. Add to that the fact that I have several iTP A3s that have worked flawlessly, and I decided to give the H01 a try.

I have no complaints on the size or performance of this light as it delivers as expected. The problem comes from the poorly thought out way in which to affix the light to the headband. The fit on mine is pretty tight and herein lies the problem. It is possible, as it should be, to adjust the light up and down while in the holder, but doing so causes the body to twist while the tailcap remains stationary in the holder. Due to the design of this light, it only takes a few degrees of twisting the end cap before battery connection is lost. I find that while adjusting my light while in the holder that I almost always lose battery connection, or at best I end up changing the modes while adjusting. I even went so far as to be cautious about which way I put the light in the holder and then onto my head. I placed it at one end of the holder so that after placing it on my head and adjusting it 'up' to the level I wanted I would be twisting it in such a way that I was 'tightening' the end cap. This worked fine until I later needed to adjust the headlamp back down and :poof:, there went the battery connection. :shakehead

This is a gross oversight in the development of this light and I'm shocked that I haven't heard other reports of this. Due to this problem, I cannot recommend this light if it is to be used as a headlamp. :fail:

The silver lining is that I find the size and design of the light to be perfect for holding in my fist with the head sticking out between my fingers. That is a very comfortable and useful grip in my opinion. Unfortunately, that is not the use I had in mind when purchasing this light. YMMV

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
I posted this several times myself. My only solution is to "pre-adjust" it and then put it in the rubber holder. This shouldn't have to be done as a solution. It is a design flaw. I am surprised other than myself you are the only one that posted the same problem and I cannot believe everyone else that has one, this isn't an issue with theirs. I just don't buy it that out of all the new iTP H01 lights out there you and I have the only "defective" ones, as it isn't a defect but a design flaw.

Incidentalist

Enlightened
Honestly, I do remember you saying you had to remove it to adjust it. I thought that you were saying that yours was just so tight that you were unable to physically move the light in the holder and you had to remove it and replace it every time you wanted to change the angle. Now I understand what you were saying. I agree, we can't be the only two having this problem as it is not a defect but an overall flaw in the design of the headlamp.

bedazzLED

Enlightened
I also found that to be an issue but found a simple solution.

I also ran into another problem, turning it off and on. I didn't realise the head actually turned it off and on, I thought you had to take it out of the holder to turn it on and off. DOH!!

I solved the tight holder issue by using a small bit of Super-lube oil inside the ends of the holder. Now it moves up/down pretty freely, but with enough resistance so that it's not loose. Works fantastic.

Got myself one of those Super-lube 7ml oil dispensers and away I went. Tried it with grease but it just clagged up. Only need the slightest bit of oil and it's been OK for a few weeks now, so I figure it will only need oiling every few months.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah trying to swivel the light even with two hands results in this:

30j4l6x.jpg

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/3413790&postcount=63

bedazzLED

Enlightened
Yep, experienced that twisting problem also. I found the easiest way to get around that was as follows.

After you have applied super-lube to the holder to make the flashlight move more freely, put the light on your head.

Then grab the holder in between your thumb and finger, much like a pair of scissors or pliers and then angle the flashlight head. This stops the twisting of the holder, and the super-lube lets it move freely, and the cap inside the holder does not come loose and disengage the battery.

Hope this makes sense.

bedazzLED

Enlightened
My biggest issue with this flashlight is too much spot and not enough flood. I tend to use this flashlight for close up work and it's fantastic because it's small and light.

In the end I stuck a small piece of Scotch Magic Tape onto the lens and now it's perfect. Small, light and almost all flood.

Still, it seems a lot of work, what with lubing, and stopping the holder twisting, and having to put tape on the lens to make it more floody. I think I'll just go back to my trusty old Zebralight H30 for all the closeup work where I don't have any of these problems.

Apart from all that, it's actually a nice little headlamp, just needs a little more TLC :)

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you describe the pinching technique? Are you pinching just one end of the rubber holder, or on both sides of the rubber holder squeezing it to the light?

Illum

Flashaholic
Initially I used talc to try and loosen the grip of the rubber around the tailcap to no avail. Eventually what I did was I clipped the H01 to my belt and slipped the H01 holder into the headband of my zebralight. It works very well as a spare AA holder. Unfortunately AAs are not fat enough to waterproof themselves while being carried in the rubber so I had to stick them in a stamp collectors ziploc. Still wonderful on the belt though. I plan on getting more.

They are $20 on Amazon you know, these headlamps. Free super saver shipping starts at $25, so buy two and skip shipping. Everywhere else is at least $30 before shipping. The headband is identical [length, color, and size] with that of zebra-lights. I'll be getting more as they work wonderfully well navigating trails while clipped on the belt. could use more spill but for the size of it I'm not complaining :twothumbs