Jetbeam BC40 vs Nitecore MT40, fight! (beamshots)

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
16hulwp.jpg

So here's a quick and dirty comparison between the two. Both SMO. MT40 is newer and it's got a lot more modes so it must be better. Right?

Low mode:
21ezjm.jpg

If you were expecting the MT40 to have a PROPER low mode then you're in for a disappointment. They appear to be identical.

Max mode:
348od5l.jpg

That was a reduced exposure to hopefully show some differences. MT40 is a tiny bit brighter. Side by side you won't notice any difference.

MT40 has a half-assed snap-on pocket clip. A light this size would require something a lot more robust, and that's assuming you've got a pocket deep enough to hold the MT40. On a belt the clip simply would not cut it.

MT40's strobe can't be permanently assigned to the head-loose position so it's useless, can't deploy it quickly, you need to scroll scroll scroll...

As I've mentioned the MT40 doesn't have a true low mode, therefore all the intermediate levels slot between the so-called LOW and the MAX. Not terribly useful in a light of this size. You'll be just fine with the BC40's two modes. Simple. No scrolling.

MT40 has just a SINGLE O-RING on the head so the head rotates way too easily and is kinda wobbly in the head-loose position. BC40 has double o-rings, a lot more stable.

BC40 tailstands more stably.

So there you have it, quick and dirty as advertised LOL

Bwolcott

Enlightened
I saw a video on youtube of the mt40 and they were able to set the strobe up as the second mode, odd it doesnt work on yours

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw a video on youtube of the mt40 and they were able to set the strobe up as the second mode, odd it doesnt work on yours

head-loose has mode memory so yes the mt40 could memorize strobe. problem is it's way too easy to accidentally change its memorized mode. you can't assign strobe "permanently" like you could with a programmable light e.g. foursevens tactical interface

and SOS and strobe are in the sequence so it's ultra annoying. i'd rather have the BC40's simple 2-modes

flashlove

Newly Enlightened
16hulwp.jpg

So here's a quick and dirty comparison between the two. Both SMO. MT40 is newer and it's got a lot more modes so it must be better. Right?

Low mode:
21ezjm.jpg

If you were expecting the MT40 to have a PROPER low mode then you're in for a disappointment. They appear to be identical.

Max mode:
348od5l.jpg

That was a reduced exposure to hopefully show some differences. MT40 is a tiny bit brighter. Side by side you won't notice any difference.

MT40 has a half-assed snap-on pocket clip. A light this size would require something a lot more robust, and that's assuming you've got a pocket deep enough to hold the MT40. On a belt the clip simply would not cut it.

MT40's strobe can't be permanently assigned to the head-loose position so it's useless, can't deploy it quickly, you need to scroll scroll scroll...

As I've mentioned the MT40 doesn't have a true low mode, therefore all the intermediate levels slot between the so-called LOW and the MAX. Not terribly useful in a light of this size. You'll be just fine with the BC40's two modes. Simple. No scrolling.

MT40 has just a SINGLE O-RING on the head so the head rotates way too easily and is kinda wobbly in the head-loose position. BC40 has double o-rings, a lot more stable.

BC40 tailstands more stably.

So there you have it, quick and dirty as advertised LOL

-------------------------------------

I prefer to the size of MT40, smaller and more modes, also skid resistance is better, skid resistance is important for BIG SIZE Flashlight.

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
-------------------------------------

I prefer to the size of MT40, smaller and more modes, also skid resistance is better, skid resistance is important for BIG SIZE Flashlight.

nope MT40 is not smaller. and BC40's got pleasure ribs aplenty grip isn't a problem LOL :D

LightCrazy

Enlightened
Did you go outside and compare the turbo modes? Just wondering how the distance, hotspot and flood compared. I can't seem to find any vid reviews of the two lights together.

LightCrazy

Enlightened
Sorry, I read that review and forgot you compared outdoor beamshots of the MT40 and BC40. In the 100 yard pics, the beamshot of the BC40 shows the woods with good definition. In the MT40 pic, it almost looks like that smooth reglector's hotspot was still a little overpowering at 100 yards. Almost looks like it was still reflecting off the trees at that distance, but still had good spill. With the extended low mode runtimes the MT40 offers, it looks like that may be the more versatile option. Has more throw as well.

LightCrazy

Enlightened
Ok. Now how do I find a bedhot of the new smooth reflector BC40? I am only considering the "40" lights because they are cheaper than the Fenix TK35. If they don't throw any farther than the 35 and the 35 has a nicer beam, I'll just get it. I need more input. Thanks. The BC40 with that op reflector was looking good. The MT40 just offered more runtime and user defined modes.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok. Now how do I find a bedhot of the new smooth reflector BC40? I am only considering the "40" lights because they are cheaper than the Fenix TK35. If they don't throw any farther than the 35 and the 35 has a nicer beam, I'll just get it. I need more input. Thanks. The BC40 with that op reflector was looking good. The MT40 just offered more runtime and user defined modes.

Maybe the Nitecore AE4 is the light for you. It apparently just came out, and according to posts on the EA4 thread, it just fits inside a toilet paper tube. Thats the size of it! Its only around 4.5" long and 40mm wide, with 860 lumens on 4-AA batteries with throw similar to the TK35 but half the price! Its usually $69, but one store has a discount code that brings it to $59 w/free shipping! You'll have to view the EA4 thread to check on the dealer.

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast

get the 4sevens maelstrom x10. throws better than TK35 and jetbeam bc40 op.

x10 and bc40 SMO beamshots:

27zdtvt.jpg

RedSquirrel

Newly Enlightened
Going to bump a >5yr old thread to ask... Does the MT40 tailcap fit on the BC40? I'm asking because my BC40 tailcap is faulty.

The metal switch retaining ring was fully jammed in, overtightened so it was impossible to get the switch replaced so now I need a whole new tailcap complete with switch. :(

The annoying thing is I've probably only used the torch a handful of times so I'm really disappointed it's broken.

Would love it if I could rescue it by replacing the whole tail with a MT40 tail. Does is fit? Does it fit well? :p Thanks in advance! :)

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
I once had a Nitecore MT40GT. I now have the P30. The reason I mention this is that the MT40GT tail cap fits the P30. I was interested in replacing the switch on the P30 and tried a variety of tail caps. Also the Nitecore SRT tail caps are the same as the 18650 sized MT's. So my thoughts are you may not have to be limited to the jetbeam BC40. At some point I seem to remember Jetbeam and Nitecore being made by the same company, you might be in luck. I'd talk to one of the Vendors to see if they know the answer and can get you a replacement tail cap.

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Going to bump a >5yr old thread to ask... Does the MT40 tailcap fit on the BC40? I'm asking because my BC40 tailcap is faulty.

The metal switch retaining ring was fully jammed in, overtightened so it was impossible to get the switch replaced so now I need a whole new tailcap complete with switch. :(

The annoying thing is I've probably only used the torch a handful of times so I'm really disappointed it's broken.

Would love it if I could rescue it by replacing the whole tail with a MT40 tail. Does is fit? Does it fit well? :p Thanks in advance! :)

bc40 switches were notorious for failing. your best bet is to find a McClicky which is very very similar to the white switch on the bc40. just a little filing and you're good to go

Latest posts