June 6th is the meeting at BrightGuy in Northern Ohio - sign up here!

YAK-28

Enlightened
here is the story from her yakness...

Okay, here's the reason why I ask my husband ("Yak" to y'all) to put bright reflective tape on his black flashlights.

I'm not sure which year this happened, but I think it might have been in the late 60's. My friend lived a few blocks from us and late one summer night, her dad heard some noises in their backyard and went out to investigate. He had a flashlight with him but for some reason, he did not turn it on at the time. I guess their neighbors also heard the noises outside and called the police. The police quickly arrived (without sirens or headlights on) and started searching the backyards. During their backyards search, they came upon my friend's father, made their announcement, and when he turned around to see them, they saw he was holding 'something' (the flashlight) and thought it was a gun. Sadly, they shot him and he died on the scene. We were just kids then, but that situation has stuck with me ever since. So, I am all for my husband collecting flashlights and using them around and outside the house, but I ask that whenever he gets flashlights with a dark barrel color, he put bright reflective tape on them so that if for some strange reason no one will have to guess to what it is...and what it isn't.

Latest posts