• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Just ordered a Peak Kino Bay P4

shomie911

Enlightened
I haven't seen any reviews of this light, but after hearing about Peak's build quality I decided to go ahead anyway; I bought a Kino Bay with P4 emitter.

Here's a pic from their website that I rehosted.
kinobayhaui3.jpg

I emailed Peak a while ago and asked them about it's runtime, again because of the lack of information I found on the light. They responded quickly and informed me 5.5 hours to 50% and another 5 hours of diminishing output with the P4 emitter.

It's 450 candlepower, anybody know the relative amount of lumens it produces?

Anybody else have one of these lights? Did I make a good decision getting a Peak light?

One last question, does Peak ship out orders quickly if ordered via their website?

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peak makes a quality product that has been around for a while. I have had excellent experiences with their service as well. It may not be the 'latest' technology, yet with their emphasis on quality it's still a nice EDC.

Last edited:

shomie911

Enlightened
Good to hear.

Atleast they updated their Luxeons to SSC P4 emitters.

I mainly got this as my around the house/beater/go to light. As its electronics are potted, it's waterproof, and it has a long runtime on one common AA cell.

I'm thinking it will take a beating and keep on going because of the simplicity of the flashlights design.

I hope I'm right.

Gatsby

Enlightened
I have a Pacific and two Kilimanjaros and am thinking of picking up another CR123 based light. Most Peak's are not the latest, greatest whiz bang technology (unless you're looking at the First Responder) but if you asked me what light would I stake my existence on in a SHTF or TEOTWAWKI scenario I'd likely say one of my Peak's. The construction is top notch, and as mentioned the electronics are well potted, the bodies are waterproof and the overall design is built to be completely reliable and extremely durable.

I have been carrying my Pacific and white Kilimanjaro more as an EDC recently despite my love of the Novatac - sometimes the smaller diameter and size is more comfortable in my work attire and the Novatac goes to the briefcase.

Great lights - you won't regret the purchase.

shomie911

Enlightened
I have a Pacific and two Kilimanjaros and am thinking of picking up another CR123 based light. Most Peak's are not the latest, greatest whiz bang technology (unless you're looking at the First Responder) but if you asked me what light would I stake my existence on in a SHTF or TEOTWAWKI scenario I'd likely say one of my Peak's. The construction is top notch, and as mentioned the electronics are well potted, the bodies are waterproof and the overall design is built to be completely reliable and extremely durable.

I have been carrying my Pacific and white Kilimanjaro more as an EDC recently despite my love of the Novatac - sometimes the smaller diameter and size is more comfortable in my work attire and the Novatac goes to the briefcase.

Great lights - you won't regret the purchase.

That's what I wanted in the Kino Bay, a light that I could pick up and use knowing that it would work in any condition or scenario that I was forced to use it in.

How deep do you think the Kino Bay can go underwater before water gets behind the lens?

shomie911

Enlightened
I just checked my order, it says "This order is on hold."

Anybody know why?

I sent an email to Peak about it.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own two Peak lights - great experience with the lights, but I got annoyed with their website and their lack of response when I tried to inquire about their product line.

I guess engineers run their customer service department as well as the company. :nana:

As EDCs, they work very nicely.

-Trevor

MWClint

Enlightened
I just checked my order, it says "This order is on hold."

Anybody know why?

I sent an email to Peak about it.

on hold usually means the light is currently in the build stage and are waiting for the epoxy to fully cure. I had a few go on hold and i called once to find out whats up, and that was the case. enjoy your peak, they are great lights.

knightrider

Enlightened
Love those Peaks! 2 of the Kilimanjaro's by the bed - one snow white and the other red. I think that I will have both and be using both for the rest of my life. Such durability and simplicity. Congrats on your new light!

shomie911

Enlightened
on hold usually means the light is currently in the build stage and are waiting for the epoxy to fully cure. I had a few go on hold and i called once to find out whats up, and that was the case. enjoy your peak, they are great lights.

Since I'm not really familiar with epoxy curing times, how long did it take for it to get past the "on hold" stage?

Gatsby

Enlightened
I have had good luck with Peak, obviously, and not had problems with customer service but admit that I like many others only deal with them on the phone ...

I'd call and ask - I've seen Robyn i think recently in the Peak forum so hopefully she is back on board.

Anyway - I think that you will enjoy the light and will find that if you're looking for a durable bomb proof light you have chosen well.

Edited to remain on point

Last edited:

easilyled

Flashaholic
I have to wonder why a relatively small company like Peak can't improve
their website and PR skills when they sell high quality products, that many
consumers (especially CPFers) are crying out for.

They could improve their turnover countless times with a little effort.

DM51

Flashaholic
I posted #11 above as an advice to the OP, and it must not now turn into a discussion about the manufacturer, or the thread will close. Any further discussion must be about the light.

shomie911

Enlightened
Just called Peak, they told me it was epoxied yesterday and should go out today or tomorrow.

Overall they seem to know what they're talking about and were very professional over the phone, hopefully everything goes smoothly and they ship out my light with a P4 instead of a Luxeon, although I wouldn't mind if they accidently sent me a Stainless Steel version instead. :laughing:

I'm pretty conflicted on if I should have ordered the Stainless Steel version instead of the HA version.

Any opinions on which you like better?

yalskey

Enlightened
Just called Peak, they told me it was epoxied yesterday and should go out today or tomorrow.

Overall they seem to know what they're talking about and were very professional over the phone, hopefully everything goes smoothly and they ship out my light with a P4 instead of a Luxeon, although I wouldn't mind if they accidently sent me a Stainless Steel version instead. :laughing:

I'm pretty conflicted on if I should have ordered the Stainless Steel version instead of the HA version.

Any opinions on which you like better?

Of course you know my stance on this shomie911... I'm all about SS. However, HA-III is G.D. hard and you shouldn't worry. I'm just a freak about SS. Any situation that would destroy a HA-III is a situation that you don't want to be in yourself.

I'm actually waiting on you to show me some beam shots and picks of the light before I order mine. You da man!!!

shomie911

Enlightened
Of course you know my stance on this shomie911... I'm all about SS. However, HA-III is G.D. hard and you shouldn't worry. I'm just a freak about SS. Any situation that would destroy a HA-III is a situation that you don't want to be in yourself.

I'm actually waiting on you to show me some beam shots and picks of the light before I order mine. You da man!!!

Yep, I'll take plenty of pictures and beamshots when it gets here, at best it'll be here Saturday, but it will most likely be here some time next week.

I just keep on looking at the pics on Peak's website, and when I see the stainless steel version of the Kino Bay my brain goes "ooh shiny" :laughing:

What am I kidding, if I really want a stainless steel one after the HAIII version gets here, I'll just get it. $80 may be a lot for a flashlight, but it already costs about $100 to fill up my truck, so in perspective at least the light lasts more than a couple weeks.

Who wouldn't want a couple indestructible AA flashlights at hand at all times.

Two is one. One is none.

That's how the motto goes right?

shomie911

Enlightened
Just got a return email from Robyn:

Here's an excerpt:

"Sorry for the confusion - "on hold" is the only phrase yahoo offers for order acknowledgment - basically all it means is we have received your order and it is being processed - it is actually shipping out today, I am almost done processing it."

Peak's customer service has been pretty good in my case, the email was returned within a few days and the phone was picked up in a few seconds.

:thumbsup: to Peak.

I'm actually eyeing a Kilimanjaro Stainless Steel 7LED.

(rehosted)
kilimanjaross7ledfu8.jpg

That way I can have a stainless steel AA light and my HAIII Kino Bay.

EDIT:

Just checked my order, it shipped.

Thanks Peak! :twothumbs

Last edited:

yalskey

Enlightened
Yep, I'll take plenty of pictures and beamshots when it gets here, at best it'll be here Saturday, but it will most likely be here some time next week.

I just keep on looking at the pics on Peak's website, and when I see the stainless steel version of the Kino Bay my brain goes "ooh shiny" :laughing:

What am I kidding, if I really want a stainless steel one after the HAIII version gets here, I'll just get it. $80 may be a lot for a flashlight, but it already costs about $100 to fill up my truck, so in perspective at least the light lasts more than a couple weeks.

Who wouldn't want a couple indestructible AA flashlights at hand at all times.

Two is one. One is none.

That's how the motto goes right?

Wow... that was a really contrived pathos of self-delusion... LOL

Just admit it... your a boy who wants another toy! The same as me! :)

just kidding you dude.

p.s. If you have the HA-III, and the SS, you might as well get the brass just to round it out... or else you'll be missing one... which is ok, I guess, if you're ok with being incomplete... LMAO :) just poking you dude :poke:

shomie911

Enlightened
Wow... that was a really contrived pathos of self-delusion... LOL

Just admit it... your a boy who wants another toy! The same as me! :)

just kidding you dude.

p.s. If you have the HA-III, and the SS, you might as well get the brass just to round it out... or else you'll be missing one... which is ok, I guess, if you're ok with being incomplete... LMAO :) just poking you dude :poke:

Greeeaatt, not I'm going to have three of the same flashlights. :mecry:

I think I'm going to stick with one Kino Bay, but I might get a Stainless Steel Kilimanjaro with 7 LEDs.

That would probably be the ultimate in reliability. 7 LEDs would have to fail before being left in the dark, plus stainless steel construction. The funny thing is, I'm not even close to being afraid of the dark, and I have excellent night vision, why am I so interested in flashlights? :thinking:

(Don't mind me, just tricking myself into buying another flashlight.)

It's made in the USA, so my excuse is that I'm helping the economy. :laughing: