KaBoom! Ya Think?

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just purchased an accessory LED light for a camcorder which comes with two Li-Ion 7.2V 2200mA batteries which are wired in parallel. It comes with a wall charger for one battery but the unit has a so-called charging port marked 7.4-14.8V DC and nothing mentioned as to the current rating needed.

I waiting on a dual-bay charger for convenience but charged them using a linear power supply. I had the batteries inserted and plugged in a 12V 500mA wall wart. I noticed it got pretty warm after a short use and unplugged it.

I rigged up a test with a two channel scope to read voltage and current. One thing is that it draws around 1400mA which is why my wall wart got warm.

I had fully charged batteries connected with various jumper wires. Unit OFF, a 12V 1500mA wall wart plugged in applies around 15V which is the no load voltage of wall wart to the batteries! I only did this for a few seconds of-course. It was only drawing 30mA at this time. I wonder if somebody not knowing about this left it charging dead batteries what would happen??? KaBoom in the night?

I did read one review on Amazon where the user stated that a battery blew up in his office and burned his carpeting.

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast
Link or pictures to device would be more informative. And there are no 7.2V lithium cells. If battery is marked such, it has 2 cells in series, not in parallel. As I guess, you have some video light, that uses Sony NP-F series battery clone Does your batteries look like this?

http://g02.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1pHhB...й-ионная-батарея-для-Sony-NP-F570-NP-F330.jpg

True, there aren't any 7.2V cells, cell means singular but batteries means a pack or more than one cell. Depending on the chemistry, they are either 3.6V/cell or 3.7V/cell. In this case these batteries are marked 7.2V although most any charger these days use 3.7V/cell as a standard or 4.2V/cell as a charging voltage which I used also.

Here's a video of some guy unboxing a unit, it should show what comes with it but I didn't watch the whole thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l31cYEUxnQ0

Latest posts