Keeping track of which lamps are in which hosts

millguy

Newly Enlightened
How do you guys do it?
I have six Solarforce hosts with different P60 drop ins. I'd like to know which one I'm grabbing without pulling the lamp (they are all wrapped with foil for heat sinking), or turning them on and trying to guess.
I don't want to mark the batteries as those change frequently.
Does anyone have a system?
Thanks for any ideas.

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know if all of your Solarforce hosts look the same or not, but when I started losing track of which light engine went in which Surefire/lego host, I created a Word document listing first the light engine, then describing the host. The first version was rather detailed, listing the runtimes in all possible battery configurations, so I edited it all down (losing the battery runtimes, but leaving in which batteries were also in which light), and I called it my "Quick Guide to Malkoff drop-ins and incan bulbs in SF hosts", for example. If it all sounds rather OCD, it is. If your SolarForce hosts all look alike, but you keep them all on a particular shelf, for example, you might want to create a similar cheat sheet with each light listed (from left to right, for example). Print the sheet out and keep it in a handy drawer. Just a thought. You might also want to create a Word document listing all of the serial numbers of your lights. There was a cpf member who had his lights stolen not too long ago. That inspired me to record my serial numbered lights, and take pictures of my non-serial numbered lights. Make sure you have a backup drive to backup everything.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
How do you guys do it?
I have six Solarforce hosts with different P60 drop ins. I'd like to know which one I'm grabbing without pulling the lamp (they are all wrapped with foil for heat sinking), or turning them on and trying to guess.
I don't want to mark the batteries as those change frequently.
Does anyone have a system?
Thanks for any ideas.

I did little things that made each of my 6P lights easy to know which is which at a glance.
I have 3 warm ones.
The M61WL has a lanyard (L= lanyard=most light)
The M61WLL does not
The P60 one has USA made on the tailcap.

My TL 2 collection:
The shock proof is stock.
The non shock proof has a lanyard (L= lanyard= lookout, do not drop it)
The LED, well it looks entirely different than incan versions.

My MD2 with 'normal' drop in has a lanyard. (Again L= lanyard=most light)
The one with an N does not.
The W one has a pocket clip. (W=wear on belt)

Memory by association stuff.

But you could do like color codes by purchasing colored switch covers from OverReady or NiteMods.
Or maybe something as simple as a piece of string tied to it...or an X painted on the tail with an enamel sharpie.

SolarForce has several types of inexpensive bezels to you could maybe go that route for 3 and colored switch covers for the 'brightest' 3

I do like the idea of writing it down.

Last edited:

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I need to figure something out too?
I just taken them apart as needed and look!
Not too effecient

Maybe I have too many?
Yeah Right.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Different bezel ring materials with smooth/crenellated fronts and clips can make the lights no longer identical. Black or GITD o-rings between body and tailcap are other ways.

Last edited:

millguy

Newly Enlightened
Really good ideas!
I have recorded the serial numbers and light engines. Thinking the Sharpie or maybe some colored thread tied to the tail cap would be easier than trying to read the numbers all the time. Looking at bezels right now.

Thank you guys!

Last edited:

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
A couple years ago when I was experimenting with ways to differentiate drop-ins, my wife gave me some great advice...

"If you don't know what drop-in it has by simply turning it on...you don't use it enough or it's not special enough...either way just sell it!"

My little German frau was right. I sold every last one of my 6P's and Malkoff drop-ins and never looked back.

millguy

Newly Enlightened
A couple years ago when I was experimenting with ways to differentiate drop-ins, my wife gave me some great advice...

"If you don't know what drop-in it has by simply turning it on...you don't use it enough or it's not special enough...either way just sell it!"

My little German frau was right. I sold every last one of my 6P's and Malkoff drop-ins and never looked back.

:mecry:Noooooo........

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
:mecry:Noooooo........

At first I :banghead: and thought :eeksign: and figured she needed a :whoopin: but then I thought :wtf: and listed them for sale and :bumpit: the ad a few times until people said :takeit: and some :paypal: came my way and when they were all :sold: i was like :awman: but that passed and I told my wife :thanks: you were right! Then we went to :sleepy: and :hitit:

:oops: did I just say that?

lovecpf

Latest posts