KL3 w/TWOK 1.2A and Fraen LP

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was asked to do a mod by a fellow CPFer and I just had to post. This was my first time doing such a mod. First the comparison pics. I had to take them one at a time because the KL3 at 1.2A made it difficult to do a side by side comparison.

First a KL4 mod running at ~900mA being fed by a Pila 168S
fa3a2fa4.jpg

The next is the KL3 running on a Pila 168S. It was humming along at ~700mA in DD mode.
fa3a2fa3.jpg

This is the KL3 in all of its glory running at 1.2A with the Fraen LP.
fa3a2fa0.jpg

The KL3 running at 1.2A with the 3W luxeon does pump out some light. CM has already shown us this with his KL3/PR mod, but I'd never seen one on this big a dose of steroids with a Fraen LP. The wall that I used was about 30 feet away from the light and camera and is about 15 feet wide. In the outdoors where sidespill can actually be a distraction, the LP sure does a nice job of putting light on the subject.

In the pics with the KL3 and the Fraen LP, the pics are a little deceiving in that the KL3 with Fraen appears to be putting out sidespill. It isn't. All of that light that you see outside of the hotspot is actually light being reflected off of the white wall.

As far as heat goes, the KL3 can more than handle this. I do believe that I'm gonna follow in CM's footsteps when my lathe gets here. I've got to have one of these with a PR in it. It was a very cost effective mod considering what the KL5/KL6 go for.

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
I put a TWAK into my KL3 at 1A with a Fraen LP. All I can say is that I love this light!

After having just gotten a black McLux PR 917 with a SWAK in it, I have a way to compare the PR to the Fraen LP. While the PR definitely throws farther than the Fraen, I think I prefer the Fraen beam pattern for everyday use.

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yee Haw! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/party.gif

Chop, you did an outstanding job! This baby is going to one of my sons for his G2/3 suite.

Chop received this KL-3 in the mail today and had the mod done boomsquick. The whole experience of having him modify this head for my son has been educational and enjoyable.

Thanks again, Tony!

Britt

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
LEDmodMan,
I agree with you and I don't. I think the reflectored beam pattern is better for everyday use, but then most of my uses are close up.

Although the PR throws farther, what is it throwing? A rather skinny beam in comparison. The LP equipped light does at a distance what the L4 does close up. The Fraen LP definitely has a spot in my light arsenal.

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh man...it arrived in the mail today and I finally got hold of a G2 to try it out on.

This baby "throws a flood" on a rooftop 75-100 feet off. That's the farthest target from my balcony.

Tony did an outstanding job. He mentioned a little nick or two but I can't see them. It looks like it just came from the factory to me.

I get to play with this and take some photos tomorrow, then I'll mail it off to my son.

Thanks again, Tony. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Britt

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beautiful! Nice work Tony /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wilkey

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are a couple of photos, although neither show this modification's capability.

The Fraen LP projects a pyramid shaped cone of light. I don't recall the geometric term for this. At 10 feet the beamspot is about 5 feet in diameter. I tested it on a neighbor last night and he cussed me blue, he was about 30 feet away. I'm very happy with Chop's modding of this KL3.

I'm looking forward to his getting his lathe and making me one with a Pelican Reflector instead of the Fraen, it'll go to my middle son who has the G2/3 outfit also.

The cooling fins on this head remind me of the barrel sleeve on an old Hotchkiss or Nambu machine gun. A very retro and industrial look that I find fetching. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BC
standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
BC,
You'd better stop playing with that thing, or you'll go blind. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is awesome!
Chop, not to drag the topic away from that KL3, but could something similar be done with a KL1? I just reread another thread where you said the KL1 could be adjusted up to 1A, and it could run on 1-3 cells. That last part (1-3 cells) just hit me, and made me rethink my plans of a mod strictly for running on 3 123s.
Will a Fraen LP fit in a KL1, and is this doable?

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Owen,
The Fraen LP in the KL1 is one of the more popular mods being done, by me anyway. It is a relatively inexpensive mod that gives good results. The only thing is that the KL1 doesn't have much mass and the 1A overdrive gets pretty hot for long term use. CM has also had reservations about pushing the stock circuit that hard; however, both CM and I have done 1A mods and I haven't heard of any failures yet.

Another drawback to pushing the KL1 to 1A, with the stock circuit, is the runtime. Since the KL1 utilizes a buck/boost circuit, it is relatively inefficient to start with, and then you add the stress of getting 1A out of the batts. I want to say that you'll get about an hour of runtime on a set of two 123's at 1A and about 2 hours at 700mA.

If you're interested, PM me.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you. I'm debating whether I want a cool toy, or to just replace the LED, and possibly the optic, myself (boring, but practical), since I already have brighter lights than the KL1 like the KL4.
That modded KL3 would be pretty cool on my Z3, though...uh oh, here I go again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as already having bright lights goes, the KL4 may put out more overall light, but the modded KL1 will kill the KL4 in terms of throw. Especially if you put a Fraen LP in the KL1.

If you'd like to try modding the KL1 yourself, have at it. It isn't brain surgery. Just make sure that you have the proper tools. You'll need a strap wrench, vice with protected jaws (and I don't just mean cardboard) and a heat gun (not a hair dryer). What you might want to try to do first is try to loosen the bezel by hand. Some just come a part and you may be one of the lucky ones.

When replacing the luxeon in the KL1 I usually prefer to use luxeons on stars. This way, all I have to do is fit the star and solder the connections; however, centering can be a PITA. If you trim the star in a manner that results in a misaligned luxeon, it could be a real headache.

Another alternative is to simply do luxeon transplant using the stock heatsink. This way, all you have to do is use a bit of thermal compound between the lux and the sink and solder. This method also gives a bit of shimmy room to aid in centering, since the emitter can be moved around a little on the sink.

Good luck.

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tony, my son called and told me the head arrived on Saturday and he had already gone through a pair of batteries playing with it.

He and his college friends are blown away by it. In honor of you he calls it his "Night Chopper".

He stowed away his G2/3's incandescent accoutrements.

I may just pick another KL3 for you to mod for my G2. Do you think you're ready to use your lathe and put a PR reflector inside the KL3?

Britt

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Britt,
That's what I was thinking. I'm personally working on a KL2/reflector mod for myself and I don't have a KL3. I need one to EXPERIMENT on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'd like to try to overcome the space problem that requires the use of an after market lens. I have some Carley reflectors coming in too. I'll need to see which will work the best.

Just keep in touch with me. The reflectors should be here in a week or two.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 30mm optic has already been done by CM with very good results. Still had the space problem though. Once I get through with the KL2, I'm gonna see about some KL3's.

Even with all of the new LED heads coming out, I still like the design of the KL3. I may be mistaken, but I believe that its design lends itself to the dissipation of large amounts of heat. Besides, I think it looks COOL!