L2 or L4?

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know of beam shot comparrison, or can someone say if the L2 out throws the L4 in distance?
Yuo guys have been most helpful. Than You

Krit

Enlightened
I like L2, for multi usage. My friend tell that L2 is more throw than L4

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Size15s said:
The L2 and L4's I have have the same throw

[/ QUOTE ]

Now I'm confused. They are both flood lights vs. throw. Both throw about the same, yet one is almost twice the lumens as the other. Is the L2 a wider pattern, more overdriven, or just a brighter led?

albert

Enlightened
First thing first, when my friend tell me he saw a beautiful girl, i only believe what he saw is an ugly *****, unless i saw her myself.

Sometime ago, i have compared L2 and L4 in a local store, both have the same throw but L2 is a little more brighter due to it been driven slightly more than L4.

Size15's

Flashaholic
The L2's beam is larger and brighter, but it, to mine own eyes, does not have longer thow.
(I have only one L2, but I have about four KL4's)

Al

Sixpointone

Enlightened
Hi All,

I am adding to this thread, as I have a quick question related to this topic.

I own an E2e, and was going to buy the KL4 for it, as I decided I'd like to own an LED. However, when considering cost, I decided it was likely best to go with the full L4 Flashlight, and I could always sell the body after if I so desired.

So now I am considering an L4, or possibly the L2.

My usage would be basic everyday, and of course walking at night at times.

Part of my wants to get the L2 because of the fact it can shine at two different levels.

Part of my wants the L4, as I am happy with my E2e, and I know the L4 is very similar.

But, as stupid as it may or may or seem, I am leaning towards the L4, because as far as looks go (the newer rounded style), as well as the physical size, I like it better.

Does any of this make sense? I ask as I often drive myself crazy with even the smallest of details.

Thanks In Advance,
John

Flashlight Enthusiast
^If you plan to use it everyday, you will go through batteries like water if you get an L4. If you get the L2, you have access to low mode (which is enough light for at least 95% of tasks), and then you'll have 7 hour constant output runtime on low (as opposed to 1 hour runtime with the L4 which only has high).

So, if you plan to use it everyday get the L2.

If you only use it as tactical light (once in a blue moon using it if a tactical situation arises), the L4 is smaller and handier.

tequilathursday

Newly Enlightened
HI John. It makes perfect sence. the L2 is much more versitle since I find the L4 more light than needed most of the time. You can get the L4 and the McGizmo tail cap and achive similar results while keeping the package tidy. But for $5 more than the stock L4 the L2 is an awesome light. I use mine on low most of the time and the long runtime is wonderful. And of course, when ya need to brighten things up a bit, 100 lumens comes in handy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif Both settings are also regulated.
I love mine, and use it much more often than the L4.
But the L4 fits in the pocket well, so I'm getting the 2 speed tail cap. And I also think the L4 (new or old body) is way better looking than the L2.

Stuck at work so I'm throwing my opinion out there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Aloft

Enlightened
I don't own the L4, but I do make good use of the L2. I'm currently using it as my primary "preflight" flashlight on the 737. It's certainly compact enough to fit in my flight bag and is virtually weightless compared to the old 2 D Mag I used to carry (and my 40 lbs of Navigation pubs). I find that the "low" setting is sufficient for most up close preflight work around the aircraft, and the "high" is great for illuminating larger areas like the underside of the wings or horizontal stabilizers, or the tail. The top of the 737's tail is only about 40 feet off the ground, so the L2's throw is adequate for this task, and since the low setting preserves battery power, I expect to replace the batts infrequently. If I was on a significantly larger plane, like the 747, I would probably not find the throw sufficient.

Anyway, my point is that if you do not find the added length of the L2 objectionable (or tha added price!!), I don't really see a reason to buy an L4. . . the added flexibility of the L2's dual level is more than adequate payback in my opinion. As you might expect, the beam is flawless and white on my L2.

Wait a minute. . . did I say that I didn't see a reason to buy an L4? Let me rephrase that. . . since it's a cool gadget, and a flashlight to boot, I guess that's reason enough, but I still prefer the L2!

Sixpointone

Enlightened
It is me again,

It seems most, if not all roads, are pointing the direction of the L2. Does anyone know if there might be plans for a newer L2 body shape, so that it would be more rounded, such as is the case with the new style E2e and L4? I know this is likely not the case, but I figured it was worth asking.

Is the L2 too large to carry around, on a holster, by my side, as an EDC?

Also, how similar or different would battery usuage be between an E2e and an L4? I might be incorrect, but I thought that the L4 was a slight bit more efficiant.

And as always, I truly appreciate all of the hospitality!

Thanks,
John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Off topic, but anyone ever know if there was ever plans for the L3 Lumamax? Why did they skip a number?

I keep hearing that the Lumamax series will go through L9. Are they leaving the L3 open for future projects (so they'll have a number available)??

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
357 said:
^If you plan to use it everyday, you will go through batteries like water if you get an L4. If you get the L2, you have access to low mode (which is enough light for at least 95% of tasks), and then you'll have 7 hour constant output runtime on low (as opposed to 1 hour runtime with the L4 which only has high).

So, if you plan to use it everyday get the L2.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I planned to use it all the time I'd get the L4.. because the L2 doesn't take rechargeables /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

$1 per CR123 is great (x2 to reload the L4). Guilt free lumens is even better. Too much light never looked so good and you can always cover it with your fingers.

The L2 is a great light, and hobbled only by the fact it doesn't support Pilas. If it did, then my recommendation would go to it as well, the best of all worlds.

Flashlight Enthusiast
^Don't know for sure. I use low beam almost all the time, and on low (15 lumens) the L2 stays relatively cool.

However, since the L2 is driven higher than the L4 on high (100 lumens vs. 65 lumens), I suspect that it will heat the body up if on high an extended time.

Latest posts