L2

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Disapointing indeed, but I'm gonna agree with others and say it's a fluke. I'm still gonna grab a couple.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not good high beam runtime, but the nice thing is the option of low beam. I'm guessing that on low beam the runtime improves to 3 hours.

Besides, at least for me, 15 lumens is plenty of light for most tasks....

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it should run longer if it is held in your hand. If it's not being held, it won't dissapate heat nearly as well.

So is anyone up to holding their L2 for an hour? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Or put it in the fridge. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

T

TACTICAL WAREHOUSE

TACTICAL WAREHOUSE is scheduled to have the SureFire L2 in stock by Friday. I need to confirm that our order is on the way from the factory. Then we'll add them to our website. This light is going to be popular, once the end users have had an opportunity to see them in action. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dan

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can somebody post a runtime for the L4?

T

TACTICAL WAREHOUSE

How does 58 minutes and 12 seconds sound? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dan

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Dan, but I was hoping for a chart showing discharge. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

T

TACTICAL WAREHOUSE

Oh, sorry... I don't do charts. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

Dan

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
According to the information I have, the L4 runs for 80 minutes in regulation, and about 3 hours total on a set of two CR123A cells.
I don't have a chart to provide; no help in that department, sorry.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Craig, I was wondering how the discharge compares to the L4. I remember the A2 was really flat. Your L2 chart looks like it's not regulated.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why is the L4 better runtime than L2? Better binned luxeons?

Mister T

Newly Enlightened
I bet it's the circuit. And I still don't understand why SF didn't try to include the circuit in the bezel. It would have been possible with the L1 (but I gess it would have been too short then) and I wouldn't be surprised if it's possible with the L2, too.
BTW: Where can I find a runtime plot of a SF L1?

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's obviously possible with the L2, since the L2 head is the same as the L4 head, except that the L4 head includes the circuit. SF probably didn't want to design a new two-stage switch when they already had the L1/A2 switch design, although there's no real reason the SF two-stage switch couldn't be used with a dumb-tube/smart-head design.

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
So am I then correct to say that the L1 will run longer on the 15 lumen setting then the L2 will? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
thesurefire said:
So am I then correct to say that the L1 will run longer on the 15 lumen setting then the L2 will? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably not, since the L2 has two batteries while the L1 has one battery. I would expect that the L2 runs longer at 15 lumens than the L1 runs at 15 lumens. I could be wrong though...

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L2 should run longer at 15 lumens, both because it has two batteries and also because the LEDs are more efficient at low power, and it will require less total power to get 15 lumens from four dies (as in the Luxeon V) than from a single die (as in the Luxeon I). However, this difference may not be significant, and the heat from packing the the four dies near each other may cancel out some of this effect.

luxlover

Banned
To those who have been waiting for Tactical Warehouse to get their SureFire L2 shipment on Friday:

I just spoke to Dan of Tactical Warehouse. His shipment of SureFire L2s has been delayed, but will be available shortly. He regrets this glitch, and will do what he can to get them, with as little hardship to his loyal customers as possible. Thank you for your patience.

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well i suppose i should sleep now since ill have to throughly test one when it gets here...

astrogrub

Newly Enlightened
Well I've used this thing for a couple of nights now and it is growing on me. Despite the apparant run time issue and physical length, I prefer it over the L4. The L2 beam on high just seems better and slightly brighter than my L4's--could just be a "luxeon lottery" thing; and the L2 low beam is a lot better than my greenish L1's high.

The tailcap has a low level "buzz" or "humm" when set to the low beam but theres no noise on high, sort of the opposite of my A2.

The dealer I found mine at had about 5 or 6 in stock a couple of days ago but hes probably sold out by now......