largest capacity protected 18650 battery

zemmo

Newly Enlightened
Three hours ago I just visited the largest Panasonic distributor in Southern China to talk about the PF model. It is quite good and is spec'd at 10A draw, typical 2900mAh capacity with a minimum of 2750mAh. They are only made in Japan, however models like B are made in China. So chances are the PF will have a considerably longer life.

They are pushed mainly for e-bikes in the US and power-tools in Europe, and come straight from the factory with a "button-top / washer" pos terminal which makes them easy to put in a series.

So I will also recommend to consider taking a serious look at the PF cell. The B range is mostly reserved for TESLA, which is driving the price up. (Their contract starts in April which will swallow up the supply entirely.)

Interesting, thanks.

zemmo

Newly Enlightened
And of course Tesla is building a huge factory in Nevada to produce 18650 cells.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I will also recommend to consider taking a serious look at the PF cell. The B range is mostly reserved for TESLA, which is driving the price up. (Their contract starts in April which will swallow up the supply entirely.)

Everybody says Tesla uses the NCR18650B. But are you sure? To get the kind of power that a Tesla needs from the number of cells they use in their battery pack requires the current capability of the NCR18650PD/PF/BD. The NCR18650B can't do it - at least not safely.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Everybody says Tesla uses the NCR18650B. But are you sure? To get the kind of power that a Tesla needs from the number of cells they use in their battery pack requires the current capability of the NCR18650PD/PF/BD. The NCR18650B can't do it - at least not safely.
I don't know that everyone is saying that.
I will add I don't think that the new/additional contract the Tesla is working on (or signed) is for any cells we have official numbers for yet. As I understand it it is likely using Panasonic's latest construction with Si based cells. Near as I can tell this is speculation based on the expectation of positive long term test results over the last few years and new production capability. However, I don't believe any of the long term test results have been released publicly so they may have already switched gears. I think we'll know soon.