LED Bulb

ComputerTime

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I have a unicell AC LED bulb that is rated at 3W. Recently, it start to flicker whenever I switch on some other room light, and I think that the driver has gone faulty.

I know that a LED bulb consists of 2 main components, the LED itself and the driver. I have been wondering, if I replace the driver with one that can control the brightness, can this LED bulb become a dimable LED bulb? Is there any other consideration that I have missed out?

Regards.

Mkala

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

Yes, in theory you can do this. The driver est responsible to translate the phase cut AC waveform to current regulation for the LED.

In practice, it will be hard for you to find a good dimable driver that cost less than a new bulb (and is not a low end chinese sh*), that is compatible with you actual LED chip(s), that will physically fit in your bulb and so on.
All this, thinking you can disassemble and remount you bulb without breaking it (and keeping all your fingers... ). Finally for a 3W LED bulb.

Hope this can help to your thinking ;)

ComputerTime

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

Yes, in theory you can do this. The driver est responsible to translate the phase cut AC waveform to current regulation for the LED.

In practice, it will be hard for you to find a good dimable driver that cost less than a new bulb (and is not a low end chinese sh*), that is compatible with you actual LED chip(s), that will physically fit in your bulb and so on.
All this, thinking you can disassemble and remount you bulb without breaking it (and keeping all your fingers... ). Finally for a 3W LED bulb.

Hope this can help to your thinking ;)

Thanks for confirming my concept.

In fact, I have dismantle the LED bulb just to have a peep inside. It is not very difficult, just unscrew the base (electrical contact) and the middle body. The LED is just screwed onto the middle body.

I am thinking of replacing the internal driver with an external driver; then there will not be any size constraint in driver. Inside the LED bulb, it will be just wires connecting from the base to the LED Chip(s); just like the old filament bulb, no electronics.

The main issue will then be hunting for the specification of the LED chip, no information is available on their web pages. It will be tough on finding suitable driver for the chip. Any pointer on this?

Regards.