Led Lenser P5R

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did a ceiling bounce test and the two lights are close enough that I can not tell the difference in brightness.
Indeed, their rated outputs are nearly the same: 200 (P5R) and 220 ANSI lumens.

Outside in the back yard the P5R is all flood compared to M7R. For those not familiar with LED Lenser what you normally think of spill does not exist. The P5R at all points from spot to flood the beam is always wider. As a result the M7R on full spot lights a spot in the neighbors tree the P5R lights up the whole crown.
This is extremely valuable to know. I'm itching to buy an M7R, and I've thought that its beam profile would be the same as its little brother's.

I have had a chance to us it to look into a computer rack and the dim is to dim, it really needs to be a three stage light. This is were my SWM-V10A-XML wins. The adjustable light level is so much better. The P5R wins with the zoom optic, you control the amount of illumination with the zoom, to bright zoom out need more light zoom in.
Why won't this trick also work with the M7R?

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since the M7R has a larger optic, it follows that it can focus better (beam pattern is also cleaner, the P5R usually has a squarish spot beam, and the M7R has a circular hotspot). You can also dim the M7R, so I suppose it's not necessary to zoom for brightness control.

Kilted

Enlightened
Since the M7R has a larger optic, it follows that it can focus better (beam pattern is also cleaner, the P5R usually has a squarish spot beam, and the M7R has a circular hotspot). You can also dim the M7R, so I suppose it's not necessary to zoom for brightness control.

Your right about the beam pattern. So far on the M7R I've not found dimming very useful since it does not have memory. If there was a dimmer memory then the function would be super useful. In that case I would like to see the fixed dim setting lower, letting the middle user selectable be the next level up. Then you would have: Press - turbo mode, click on - high, half press - user preset, next half press - dim, ... etc. I hate it when OEM's just do not think things out and take the next step. Consider the already high cost of a M7R the extra memory mode would not cost that much extra, it's really only code and one memory register. Since the Flashlight is designed to have on board charging the memory function need not be writable eeprom. The setting would go away with battery removed and would be no big deal.

=D~~ Kilted

Kilted

Enlightened
Why won't this trick also work with the M7R?

Yes it will.

Thanks for the comments. The M7R adjustable light level is really not that usable 'cause it's not at your finger tips, the user adjustable really needs to be a user set level in memory. Using the zoom to control lux level on the subject will work very nicely and actually works better than the P5R because of the larger optic. I find the M7R to big to EDC so that is why I got the P5R.

I started my EDC'ing with mini Maglites and I always loved the spot-wide angle focusing but hated the beam pattern. Then I found the 14500 rechargeable LiIon's in LED Lenser with zoom optic that is orders of magnitude better than Maglites in zooming and brightness. Since I normally carry both the SWM-V10A-XML and the P5R at work I switch back and forth a lot depends what I need.

Getting a M7R is great for what it is, but it will not replace a SWM-V20C brighter or a Fenix TA21 about the same lumen's both are more compact lights they are light tools with different goals.

=D~~ Kilted

Last edited:

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just finished the runtime test on my editor's P5R (S/N 047639), and it had the same behavior...drops to 45% after 7 minutes, then drops to 15% at 30 minutes.

Based on light output and battery capacity, 3 hours of runtime would not be possible if it didn't use an aggressive step-down regulation. In the German review, it sounds like he introduced a duty cycle, which is would not be a continuous runtime test as specificed in the FL1 Standard.

Also...45% output is not as dramatic as it sounds because of non-linear brightness perception.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you, Robin, for running your test again.
In the German review, it sounds like he introduced a duty cycle, which is would not be a continuous runtime test as specificed in the FL1 Standard.
Bingo. Like its big brother, the P5R is designed to step down to a lower brightness if it's been left on longer than a certain length of time. I discovered this when conducting a continuous-run test; it just wouldn't die, even though the light was set on High. Curious, I turned it OFF, then back ON. Suddenly, output seemed to double.

Hak62

Newly Enlightened
I just recently purchased the P5R after buying the P7-P3 combo pack. I am quite new to the "flashaholics" group and I am really intrigued by the technolgy. I am a truck driver by trade and a flashlight is a must have tool for the job. A pre-trip inspection of the tractor-trailer is required and we need to see as much as possible in, out and under the equipment. I have always used "regular" flashlights and then I thought that magLights were the ultimate. I was very impressed by the brightness of the P7 and even the P3, which led me to some YouTube reviews and then this forum. The convenience of a rechargeable light prompted me to buy the P5. As a newbie to LED lights, I do quite like the P5R. Surely there are better lights out there to those "in the know", and one day I will upgrade to one of them. (I am hooked). For now, the P5R is the nicest flashlight I have ever owned.

LEDburn

Enlightened
First of all, this is not a flame on LL - I have owned/own a P3, P5, P6, P7 and a M1 so this is what I feel based on using them for various things.

Firstly let me start by saying that my first LED was a P6 which I got after seeing my mates P5 when we went camping one night. It blew me away as it was the first 'high end' flashlight I had seen in use. I wanted more and proceeded to gather a few. I got a P7 and was quite disappointed as my lack of knowledge led me to believe the performance increases would be more dramatic, which they weren't.

Not long after that I found myself here...

For me i think they're worth the money the beam profile isn't the best
but if your using it outdoors you'll not notice that one bit,put it this way theres a lot worse light for the same kind of money & i love mine:thumbsup:

There are also a LOT better lights for the same or less money.

I thought the focus to flood thing was the single best thing ever: it isn't.
You will find a light which has as good throw, probably better, whilst also producing more flood, that is the same size or smaller than any LED Lenser light. Not only that, the runtime will demolish that which LL offer.

Let's compare a P5R to a Zebralight SC600; both similar sized lights running a single li-ion cell.
Judging from the runtime chart posted above you can see the P5R will drop to about 40% output in under 15mins which if you really think about, is quite pathetic really. It is made even worse considering the SC600 will put out 500 lumens for a MINIMUM of an hour and a half.
If you ran it at full power for 15 minutes you would still most likely have enough power to run the light at 21 lumens for another 24 hours non-stop which is more than plenty bright enough and will still be cranking WAAAAYY after you have given up on the useless light the LL was putting out before it died.

Unless you really, really need the flood only light - which I personally don't for an EDC as a hotspot with decent transition to flood is almost always necessary IMO - there isn't a need to own a LL.
The first light I got after the LL's (Fenix LD10) blew me away with how much more useful it is to not have to mess around with adjusting the beam - which I now realize is not something most people need or want anyway.

The other thing about modes and such is a personal thing so doesn't really need a mention.

nice torch, there are a couple of interesting youtube videos for the P5R.
yeah, i think they are overpriced and over-marketed in Germany (LED Lenser is 100% German stuff). You may wanna start with a cheap clone from Ch*na, and if you really like it then do the leap.

Me too, i prefer real flashlights. Olight, Fenix, 4Sevens, Eagtac, all good stuff and less costly than German lensers ;)

Unless I am missing something, LED Lenser torches are all made in China - that's what the sticker on every single one of mine said.

Korgath

Newly Enlightened
I seriously loled at the chart :) However, lets say I turn off the led lenser after about 5 minutes...Will I get full brightness again?