Let's Talk Batteries!

fenix store

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vendor
Lets%20Talk%20Batteries_zpsqhw0rxrj.jpeg

LED FLASHLIGHTS ARE NEAT AND FUNCTIONAL BUT...
Understanding the power source is critical!

When it comes to selecting an LED Flashlight, you would be wise to start by looking at the battery(ies) it takes to operate the light. There are many battery types on the market. Did you know certain environments require certain batteries? That's just part of the consideration when selecting a light.

Today's batteries are varied and POWERFUL! There is much to know about all your battery choices--18650 rechargeable batteries, 14500 rechargeable batteries, 26650 rechargeable batteries, alkaline throw-away batteries, etc. What does all this mean?? This week we hope to help "clear the water."

BATTERY TYPES
BATTERY EXPECTATIONS
​BATTERY SAFETY

ALSO

10% OFF BATTERIES AND CHARGERS
THROUGH 2/19

Thank you for your continued support.

The Fenix Store Team
Exceeding Customer Expectations

Selecting a flashlight is like buying a car: if you want the automobile to operate on a certain fuel type, you go to the dealership and ask to see all the autos that are powered by diesel, gasoline, electricity, etc. When selecting a flashlight, FIRST you may want to consider what kind of battery(ies) you want to use in the light...throw-away, rechargeable, Ni-MH, li-ion, lithium, etc. READ MORE HERE

Once you determine which battery type is for you, then you can realistically select a flashlight. Here is a common request we get from customers:

"I would like a 2000-lumen flashlight that runs on the commonly found alkaline battery. I also want to carry the flashlight in my pocket."

Now that you understand batteries, you will see why this isn't possible. Alkaline batteries are very low power so achieving 2000 lumens in a pocket-size flashlight using an alkaline battery just isn't possible. READ MORE HERE

Now that you understand batteries better, know that not all batteries are created equally. Batteries are a case of "you get what you pay for." Because the new lithium-ion batteries are so powerful (and potentially dangerous), you never want to cut corners on such batteries. If you need to save money, buy a less expensive flashlight rather than purchase a lower-quality battery.
READ MORE HERE

Last edited:

fenix store

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vendor
Thank you for understanding that we focused on new users! We surely could have written it at a deeper level but that would not have served our average customer well. Batteries are very complex and difficult to address. So we focused on the batteries Fenix produces and tried to help customers in making selections. About 80% of our emails deal with battery questions. So we decided to try to assist customers in understanding the ugly world of batteries. We appreciate your support.

Well done fenix store! ...A good start for newer flashlight users.

Hugh Johnson

Enlightened
Thanks for this. I've developed an interest in flashlights and battery technology recently.
I'm trying to standardize my equipment to AA (so it can always be used in case of emergency or power failure) and 18650 (for when I need more lumens and/or longer life between charges).

fenix store

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vendor
Great! We are glad this can provide you some basic information. If you have additional questions, please ask them here. You have the backing of the Fenix engineers to assist in answering power and Fenix lights.

Of course, you have the expertise of the CPF members also. These members provide a WEALTH of knowledge in all things lighting. You have a great support group here.

Thanks for this. I've developed an interest in flashlights and battery technology recently.
I'm trying to standardize my equipment to AA (so it can always be used in case of emergency or power failure) and 18650 (for when I need more lumens and/or longer life between charges).