LiFePO4 starter battery

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Looking for any input and experiences with them.
Good/bad/anything
The higher voltage is a small concern, but using below 32F could be an issue.

thanks in advance

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

My interest is in powersports size battery (motorcycle)

AGM batteries have been such a hassle in my life, not totally sure how to begin describing it.
In '23 alone, two absolute failures since late April, that's enough for me.

When I said voltage could be a concern ^ I was referring to charging system on a bike not being quite enough for LFP.

BVH

Flashaholic
What is the maximum charging system Voltage on your bike? There is almost no usable capacity to be gained when charging over 3.5 Volts per cell or 14 Volts. I charge all my LFP's to only 3.5 VPC so if your bike reaches 14, you're good to go, Voltage wise.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is the maximum charging system Voltage on your bike? .
+

It's 13V +- .1
was a bit frazzled yesterday, my battery just imploded about 30 min. from my house.
I keep a 3S Lipo with me for emergencies, clamped it on = just got me home.

just a quick note:: if something you own is running really bad, thinking it's the carb/motor and you don't have a voltage number,
it could be just a bad battery.
You wouldn't believe how terrible something runs when the battery is ☠️.

Simply have to test this for $53

Last edited:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guessing you would be able to bring the battery inside during below freezing weather? Does the manufacturer of that Amazon battery have cautions about sub-freezing events?

jzchen

Enlightened
Can also search YTZ7S LiFePO4 on eBay. I have been buying the "Dohon" ones there for a while now for vehicles in the household. At least with those 13.0 - 15.0 V is okay. Don't have experience with them in the COLD I'm afraid…

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can also search YTZ7S LiFePO4 on eBay. I have been buying the "Dohon" ones there for a while now for vehicles in the household. At least with those 13.0 - 15.0 V is okay. Don't have experience with them in the COLD I'm afraid…
+

What charger are you using?

jzchen

Enlightened
When my first one arrived it came with a small instruction booklet. It says to verify the alternator output is within that range. Most vehicle output is within that range. I use any charger with a Li mode, manufacturer recommends fixed voltage charging @ 14.6 V. My first one in our 2012 Prius v is over 4 years old…