light for older female--HELP

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. I've spent the last two hours trying to find some more options.

As far as the moded m!n!-mag goes, do you seriously think that I didn't have it on me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif It's cold up here in Pittsburgh compared to Texas. I brought a jacket and jackets have pockets--E2e, madmax/mag/kroll, Mitylite, Arc AAA, Photon III and laser-pointer all on person, not including those still in my luggage.

Holding the m1n1-mag, she said it was kind of heavy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif but said my E2e was light, but I don't think that there is THAT big a difference...

She's got a light for the house and it's better than nothing right now. I'm trying to get her something that she'll have with her when she's out of the house that's m1n1-mag sized or smaller. So she doesn't really need a getting-around-the-house light, but more of a now-where-did-my-keys-fall kind of light.

It seems the PT line might be a good line that I previously overlooked. Relatively inexpensive, cheap and easy batt replacement, twist on head, no small tail caps, hand filling size yet not too big or heavy.
40 sounds good at 28 lumens...maybe I'll look into the rage--40 lumens at 2.5 oz.

I'll let you all know later tonight what I'll get for her. Thanks for the suggestions.

-Jason /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
40 sounds good at 28 lumens...maybe I'll look into the rage--40 lumens at 2.5 oz.

[/ QUOTE ]

Something's wrong there - the Rage (which would probably be a really good option for her to carry) with 4 AAA (2 watts) doesn't have more output than the Tec40 with 4 AA (4 watts)...

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe my source, brightguy.com has the info messed up. If you've got the numbers, please let me know before I go out and buy something /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

Fromthe Rage page, I get 41 lumens. From thetec 40 page I get 28, but you're right, the 4AAA to 4AA difference is wierd.

-Jason

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Before making a choice I would want to know her needs in terms of:

How bright (Her eyesight?)
How long a burn (type of use)
How big (Fits in her purse?)
How heavy (Her strength?)
How activated(Her hand strength re torque? Ex: arthritus might mandate clickie or body switch)

Example: The PT Rage might qualify in terms of brightness,size and weight. But its burn is quite short and the small bezel can be harder to turn than other lights with larger bezels, like the 2L.

Once you answer those questions you will know which light(s) are appropriate for her use.

Brightnorm

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for your help guys. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

dtsoll is sending a gigablast to her and I feel that it will suit her just fine for it's intended purpose. I'm also giving her my spare Arc AAA for her keychain and getting her a tec 40 for around the house.

She should be able to manipulate these without a problem and are not overkill for just getting around when the lights go off or she drops something.

-Jason

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unless something has changed in the last year, the Tec40 is much brighter then the Rage and with a smoother beam.

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
paulr--gigablast is the old version of the PT rage.

The Tec 40 is going to be brighter, but the AA's are going to be heavier so she's probably not going to carry it with her in the purse. This is the same woman who said that the m!n!-mag was too heavy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif
You know some of these ladies; purses weigh 20 lbs and none of it we would find useful. A gigablast should work great.

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pal 9v - was well used by an older female friend
UK 4AA with the button switch sounds good
and BrightGuy just announced UK 2AA with button switch!!!
If weight is REALLY an issue, put Lithiums in one of the UKs.

paulr

Flashaholic
The 2AA UKE looks nice. There's also the PT20, which has a twist bezel. Putting lithiums in a 2AA UKE sounds like a worse deal than getting a UKE 2L in the first place, if you don't mind the twist bezel.

AZMAN

Newly Enlightened
Go with a UK4AA........much easier to find AA's at a resonable price for the general public.

paulr

Flashaholic
We're talking about the 2AA for the light weight. 4AA is too heavy.

It would be cool if UKE made a 1x123 body for the 2AA head, for a nice compact light, btw. Hmm, I have a UKE 2AAA penlight sitting around doing nothing, maybe I can mod it...

Latest posts