Light recommendations

Spade1

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,
I am looking for a light to replace a Olight javlot and laser odin. More to follow below but I have a remote mount for the light and a requirement that it can be modified to be switched remotely, previously I modified an Olight pressure switch with an automotive relay. The light is mount in parallel to a thermal camera on a remote controlled mount. Max weight around 1.5kg.

Use case is wildlife services and pest control. Need to be able to positively identify animal species, health condition, gender etc etc. Binoculars are used from a distance to catalogue these details and the lights only on for a short time to minimise disruption.

I have considered the Manner Mk38 Olight marauder 2 etc. it's hard to tell without hands on experience and the remote switch requirement snookers me a bit.

Many thanks in advance,

==================Flashlight Recommendation Checklist================

1) How would you prefer to purchase.
Online from AUSTRALIA

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

$400AUD ISH

3) Format:
I want a portable spotlight (it may have an external power source).

4) Size:
don't care. Replacing a Javlot and previously a 140mm 70w Hid driving light

5) Emitter/Light source:
LED

6) Manufacturer:
I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
I would like a light from a specialty manufacturer (Possibly limited run/Custom).
I am interested in assembling my own components. (for example a "host" or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a "drop-in" emitter from another source).

7) What power source do you want to use?
21700 or 18650

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option
N/A

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need?
More efficient or more than a javlot. About 2000. I feel the HID has too great a warm up time, Javlot not quite enough brightness in the overall beam, pattern at 300.

____I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).
____I want search and rescue type illumination (800+ lumens)

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.
Spot out to 300m with some food. Anything further is excessive.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)
50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)
150+ yards (I am searching from a helicopter)

300m max is of a animal. Ok spill for searching.

10) Runtime: .
Light not to be always on. Will be switched on for short 1m bursts as required.

30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)
90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):
I want a remote switch or cable

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.
A simple on-off with only one output level is fine for me, lower power modes ok too.

14)Material/Finish/Coating
I don't care

15) Water resistance
IPX7 (Waterproof to 1 meter/30min)

16) Storage conditions
Atomobile glove-box (wide temperature swings, long standby periods, critical reliability)

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.

Red filter (for preserving night visio) bonus not critical

Attachments

• 20240521_164704.jpg
    20240521_164704.jpg
    681.2 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

Spade1

Newly Enlightened
I don't have a recommendation, I just wanted to tell you that I'm impressed with your setup.

Nicely done, sir, nicely done.
Thanks mate, but of an experiment but a handy setup, needs a little tweaking though and I'm not that experienced with the more powerful lights

Latest posts