Lights with multiple LED's

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
... ... ...
I actually have lights that are 20,000 lumens but they run all of 6 minutes on a 2 hour charge.
Some things are sheer stupidity.
Although it speaks a lot about myself for buying such a device.
1. Maybe not. 2. Maybe not. 3. Maybe not.

1. Are there normal modes available for normal runtime? There is a very high max mode for brief want or need, whatever they could possibly be.

2. One mans' sheer stupidity is another mans' sheer excitement.

3. I don't think so. Maybe you were excited about it, and that is why you bought it.

Me: I scored 134 on the Reynolds IQ test a few weeks ago, age 59, currently have four years vegan diet and having lost 70 pounds of body weight, and I still scored 99 percentile, extremely high intellectual capability, and I bought 100,000 lumen light, 35,000 lumen light, 25,000 lumen light.

I also scored very high on whatever judgement test I took. I have enough quick wits about me to take virtually instant self defensive action, twice, when I was ambush charge attacked on the street in the residential neighborhood by my neighbors loose Shepherd breed dogs.

So, low and/or slow cognitive ability is probably not why people buy screaming hotrod flashlights.

----------------
Yes, it has lower modes for long runtime per fuel supply.

Last edited:

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
> Multi LED lights run hotter, and use more battery power, faster.
Let us get this one out of the way. The truth is actually the reverse of this. LEDs efficiency is actually exponentially worse the harder you drive them. Given that, the more LEDs you use for the same output the cooler, longer, and better the light will run.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
the more LEDs you use for the same output the cooler, longer, and better the light will run.

I agree for the same total output

Im trying to point out that the same total output focused into a smaller hotspot is brighter on the target center

example
a 1 foot diameter hotspot, and a 2 foot diameter hotspot, can have the same total lumens

while at the same time the 1 foot hotspot is twice as bright, on the target, in the center of the beam

the photo I posted shows this phenomenon.. larger and dimmer, or tighter and brighter

I call the single more efficient, because to match its brightness the triple needs to be turned up to a higher power level, in order to match the brightness on target

at the same lumens, triples are dimmer, because their total output is spread on a wider target

same reason an xpl 325 HDS is not brighter on target than an xpg2 250 HDS

Last edited:

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree for the same total output

Im trying to point out that the same total output focused into a smaller hotspot is brighter on the target center

example
a 1 foot diameter hotspot, and a 2 foot diameter hotspot, can have the same total lumens

while at the same time the 1 foot hotspot is twice as bright, on the target, in the center of the beam

the photo I posted shows this phenomenon.. larger and dimmer, or tighter and brighter

I call the single more efficient, because to match its brightness the triple needs to be turned up to a higher power level, in order to match the brightness on target

at the same lumens, triples are dimmer, because their total output is spread on a wider target

same reason an xpl 325 HDS is not brighter on target than an xpg2 250 HDS

Sorry, I interpreted the original post as a bit broad. In fact there is just so much to consider: LED, reflector/optic size, driver, light size constraints, design goals, and power source.

If you want to make a blanket statement and say that for a given flashlight diameter, then yes, the largest reflector will always produce the tightest hotspot, because yes, the smaller your make the reflector the worse the throw.

wweiss

Enlightened
The Alpha Triple (90 CRI) in a shorty body is my best trail dark walker. 1k lumens if I want it and <10L if I don't. Wall of light or barely lit. Chernobyl - proof sealed body. Great glowboard and emitters. Worth the $$$ money for me.